Which Air Filter to Choose???

Started by KoenigsTiger, June 29, 2005, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

Hey every one, ;D

I was wondering which air filter would be the most efficient to get???  ???

I have ordered and OEM from a local bike store, I got a tin/ paper one that probably fits a 83 not a 82. It did not have a grove on the side.  After that experience I used air compressor on my old damp plastic/paper and slapped it back on. Don't know if that the original one or not. I never changed it, I had the bike for 3 years.  :D

Are ther any K&N filters around???
Are UNI filers safe/good???
Should I just try the paper again???

I dont mind spending a few $$$.

Thx to all!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Blake

No stock K&N replacement is available.

most people go with the UNI filter (available at dennis kirk and most places).

Some get individual pod dilfters and clamp them over the velocity stacks inside the airbox.  gives some more airflow.

Either way itll be a good improvement over the stock paper filters.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Riche

Here is a link that gives general air filter info, not specific to our application but is a good read. It may help you decide which way to go. Foam, K&N or paper. This link was found while trying to decide what filter to put in my car. My choice for the car was paper. My Vision has a paper element, Kawasaki has K&N and dirt bikes (now all gone) all used foam. What this guy say was if he used BelRay foam filter oil... now if you ever get that stuff on your hands you will know why your foam filter gathers so much dirt  ;)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

KoenigsTiger

Thank you very much gents, ;D

It has been a very enlightening experince!!! :-\

Thank you!!! :D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Blake

Nice Article!  just spent 10 minutes reading it.

I definately liked the section on the airflow.  It's interesting because my little comment on it above was "common knowledge" i've heard as long as i can remember.  Guess i was wrong :)..But it makes me also wonder, if its such a little difference in flow, then why does the installation of it usually require a jet change of some sort?  I've defiantely been thinking about the air filter situation for my car recently (1976 500cid, 65k miles).  I junked the stock airbox and have a new one that needs to be fitted on-with two 3" outlets to the front of the car for cold air), but with the increased air to the carb (up to the filter), and closer exposure to outside elements, definately made me think about which filters to use.

Thanks for the post,

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Riche

Blake

Like anything else you read take it with a grain of salt and look at the info with common sence.
The jetting changes with K&Ns come mostly from moving to the pod filters and eliminating the airbox. Plus many of those instaltions happen with the adition of a header. My Kawasaki, 1981 550 GPz, got a K&N in it's air box at the 600mile check. No jetting changes required. The bike is still  very stock. Besides the K&N there are Koni shocks on the back and an Alberts bar end mirror.
"If" this guys findings were accurate paper is the convient way to go. Because I didn't relish having to service a K&N for my car when time can be at a premium paper was the way I went.

Lead_Deficiency

If they gave you a paper and tin filter it was for an 82 before the air box mod came out.

crazyjimmy

Dont forget Rob Mays trick. I use it and it works well.
http://www.robmay.com/airfilter.htm
jim

KoenigsTiger

Rob Mays trick sure is a good cash saver!!! hehehe ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450