News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

SHE STARTS!!!..But runs only on one cyl

Started by YellowJacket!, July 01, 2005, 05:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Got ny baby to start today but she runs on only one cylinder.  I checked the plugs and the rear cyl has a good spark...small but good.
Per the haynes manual, I checked the resistance of the front coil.  connecting to the  molex plug leads , I get 2.75 ohm and from orange wire to where the pug wire inserts, I get 8.75 ohms so the coil is close to spec.  Plugs are brand new NGK per spec and properly gapped.
I swapped out TCI's and still the same thing.
I also checked the plug wire and I get a 8 - 9 ohm reading but no continuity buzzer.

Any suggestions...dumb question, because I know all you generous people are out there to help  ;D

Thanks,
David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Superfly

Sounds basic, but is the Rev Limiter cut?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

YellowJacket!

Superfly

YellowJacket!

Well, I think its either a bad coil or plug wire.

I swapped the rear wire to the front coil and rear cyl and nothing.
Front coil wire is too short to reach the rear cyl so I could not test this way.
Then I tested rear coil and front cyl and bam!, ?I get ignition but a backfire in the carb. ?Makes you jump when youre holding a can of primer (spray bottle with gas..used to rule out bad carb which I know needs extreme cleaning)

So, I am in search of a coil/front plug wire. ?I have a turn signal and a headlight basket, lens and clean chrome surround to trade ?:o

David

YellowJacket!

Superfly

1.  Unscrew the plugwire from the coil.  this way you can have the long plug wire going to the rear cylinder.  When I am testing coils, I will switch the connectors (where they plug into the harness) also.

2.  Cut the yellow/black wire at the TCI.  I usually cut a little bit out, so there is no chance of the touching.

h2olawyer

The rev limiter circuit often fails on the Vision.? It works by cutting power to the rear cylinder.? The wiring runs from the TCI to the tach.? Disabling it cures one possible problem with no spark to the rear cylinder.? I'm waiting for mine to fail before I cut the wire.? The problem seems to be in the circuit board on the tach, but I don't know if anyone has traced it for sure.

After cutting the wire, just be careful not to get the revs too high!? You start to lose power before 10K anyway so there's no real need to ever run into the limiter.? Just take care when you're flogging it to get out into traffic or wanting to get that full throttle rush,? ?8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

will cutting the rev limiter disable the tach?

Also, on my bike, I have the left coil going to the front cyl (which is the one that is not firing) and the right coil going to the rear cyl.  If cutting the rev limiter wire is supposed to disable the rear cyl , how does thar effect my situation?  Are my coils reversed?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

David

Superfly

It will not dis-able the tach.  I have cut mine, and have not had any problems.  First cut the limiter, then switch the coils, check for spark.

YellowJacket!

UPDATE

OK, here is what I did.? I reversed the molex plugs going from the wiring harness to the coils.? Now left is right and right is left.? The coil that I thought is bad works fine and gives a good spark.? The plug wire that I was questioning works fine so, my next step is to cut the yellow and black wire and see what happens.

Lastly, could it be a stator problem?? ?According to the tests in haynes, everything seems ok.

Further update... I cut the yellow and black wire and ran my tests again and it did not solve the problem.  Tried both spark plugs too just to rule out a bad plug.

I have swapped TCI's and it did not change anything.  Whats next?  Check my wiring harness?

Thanks for the help,

David

YellowJacket!

UPDATE UPDATE!!!

DUH!  like a newbie, I forgot to connect the wiring harness plugs back to the coils.  After connecting the plugs back up I have sparks on both cyls.  I have an extra coil on the way.  Found it on ebay...was 22.00 with shipping.  I guess Ill add it to my parts box unless anyone needs it.

Thanks superfly and H20lawyer!!

David

YellowJacket!

YEEEHHHHAAAAAAAA  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Got her started!  After 10 years of sitting, she runs.  Stalls on idle but will run if I hold the throttle.  Man it sounds nice too!!  Since I don't have my tank back (sometime next week...Im getting it leaded.) I used a temporary tank with about 20 - 50 cc of gas (in case of fire).  Had to prime her with a spray gun (kids don't try this at home), but she now runs.

Looks like next week I will graduate from pusher/worker on vision to an actual Rider Of Vision!

You all are great.  Thanks for all the help you have given me.

David

h2olawyer

WOO :D ;D 8) :D ;D 8) :D ;D 8) HOO!
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ProfessorRex

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Superfly

YellowJacket!

It ended up being the over rev disabler (the yellow and black wire).  I get good sparks on both plugs and after I hooked up a small temporary tank, I was able to get it to run for about one minute (about 50cc og gas). Man she sounds good.

I'll be getting my tank back this week.  It cost $200.00 to get the dents pulled out and have it "leaded".  According to the guy that worked on it, it had about 1 1/2 inches of bondo on each side which I found out after I stripped the paint off.  He is going to prep it and prime it for me.  My POR kit should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll POR it and then I'll tune it up.  He is going to paint my tank and trim for me too, but I have to come up with another 150.00 to 200.00 for that....well worth it because he is a perfectionist with paint.

Finally, my backup carbs should be here soon so I should have some parts.

I installed my "UYICS" and am excited about testing it out too.

David