News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Here we go again...

Started by MotorPlow, July 03, 2005, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Anybody hear of, or use Royal Purple Synthetic Motorcycle Oil? http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mcycle.html

They claim that their oil is designed to reduce engine temps by 22-44oF. I think if that claim is accurate, I will be using this oil at my next oil change (maybe road test it at deal's gap).

Any feedback? I am not looking for the entire oil debate, but what do you think about this oil and their claim?

h2olawyer

Chris -

I've heard of it - never went to find out about any claims & still only looked at their website.  I'm always skeptical about any advertising claims.  Just put Engine Ice in my V.  They claim "up to 50 F" cooler running.  The guys at the place I bought it said to expect more like 15 - 20 F.  My gauge reads cooler but not a lot.  On hot days, it still gets close to the end of the green but the fan doesn't run nearly as much.  Also, it runs for shorter time when I shut the bike down.

Trying it for a while - shouldn't hurt anything & you might see some cooling benefits.  I'd say to cut their claim in half & be very pleased if you see anything above that.  Their claims are likely taken from the optimum conditions & the greatest difference they found on a few tests.

I may give it a shot on my next change, too.  At the rate I'm riding this year, that will likely be sometime in August.  Couldn't hurt to have a couple different testers trying things like this out.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

I don't want to sound too negative. BUT, R.P. was tested by a magazine against other syn. oils. It did not do well in general wear tests. A mechanic I know, does not sell it any more since he saw a drag bike blow up. All the guy did was change the oil, then boom.? A lot of what you hear is just hype. Synthetics don't stick like dino oil to the moving parts. That's the reason for less drag. Question is: how well do you want your oil to stick to the moving parts?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules