TIme to break out the multmeter AGAIN- UPDATED!

Started by wolfman, July 05, 2005, 12:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Well here we go again.?

I guess I should have seen it coming, as the starter has been acting odd the last week or so CLACK!? CLACK! CLACK!? but I figured it was just time to sync the carbs again. I had seen some odd voltmeter readings the last two weeks or so.? Low readings that improved after a few minutes running time....

Long story short, ride home this morning, once she finally started, at idle voltmeter in the dash panel read around 12.5 at idle.? On the road at 55 or so, it was back up to 14. (What I have typically been getting since replacing the stator and R/R last spring)? Never paid it any attention until I pulled into the garage when I got home and noticed the exhaust had an unhappy intermittant pop pop pop.? Voltmeter was then reading 10.5~11 volts at idle, and did not rise when I reved the engine.? High beam made it WORSE and the turn signals wouldn't flash.

Pulled the battery.? 12.55 volts.

I hope it's the R/R or something stupid (like a bad connection) and not the Stator.?

No time to run the checks this morning. (I sleep days and work nights)

Nearly killed me to climb into the car tonight to go back to work....sunny and 76 degrees after a May/June where it rained almost every day.

Sigh.. back to the drawing board and flow chart.

Just paid for the insurance too.....

If it is the stator (less than 18 months and 2500 miles old) I'll do the waterpump seal as well while things are apart.? Or perhaps just push it off the end of the nearest dock...

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE......................................................................................

Well, took it apart to gain access...removed battery and put it on the charger while working on it.

Found three wire stator to R/R connector melted enough to fuse the two ends together...and prepared to the worst. (No lectures please...the OEM connector was undamaged a year ago when I replaced a bad R/R and? grounded Stator)

Stator tested OK (Three times!)
Regulator tested OK (Three times!)

Removed the melted connector and connected the three wires from the stator directly to the three going to the regulator. (Left the spade connectors on the wires, just directly connected them, crimped them tight and then insulated them)

Put it all back together and started her up.

14.2 volts at idle.

YEE HAW!? Gotta like free fixes!

Just wondering if I should count my lucky stars or go ahead and order the parts in anticipation of eventual failure?

NOTE:? Stator and R/R test results were the same as when the units were NEW. (I wrote down the numbers for future reference)? It appears that a loose/bad connection at the 3 wire plug caused the overheat and eventual failure of just those connections, once I fixed that, everything "seems" to be fine again.? In fact, I am getting about just shy of 1 volt better at idle than I was when I initially repaired it a year or so ago...The bike even starts and runs better. (Especially after I resynced the carbs afterwards when I was through)

h2olawyer

Wolfman -

Sorry to hear of your charging woes.  As you may have read, I've just been through something similar, but even fewer miles & less time on the stator.  I hope you're right that it's the R/R or a bad connection.

Don't give up - it can be fixed & running right again.  I know you needed to vent.  I felt the same way when mine fried earlier this spring.  Who's stator did you use?  My short term one (1 yr & 1100 miles) was from Rick's.  New one is Electrex (made in China - according to the box).  Hope it does better.  I'm taking the one from Rick's to a local alternator rebuilder to see if they can rewind it & have any ideas for keeping it cooler.  They do lots of vintage auto electrical restorations & might have some ideas.  I'll post what I find out when I finally get out there & get it done.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.