My Tank Project

Started by YellowJacket!, July 08, 2005, 03:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Got the tank back from the shop yesterday after Phase I.  When I stripped the tank down, I found that it had several layers of body filler on it.  After I got it back, the shop guy told me it had about an inch and a half of filler on each side.  He pulled the dents out and sealed all the pinholes for me.  Today Im PORing the tank and over the next few days I will get it ready to send back to him so he can finish it for me.  Right now, I'm going to have him get it to primer stage and will tune the bike and ride it a little.  The total cost for popping the dents and filling the holes was $200.00 adn I'm going to (eventually) pay him another $150.00 for paintint the tank, fender and plastics on the bike.  So far, this was the most expensive part of my restore, but the tank will be perfect when its done.

Here are some pics:

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

And more pcs (cant figure out how to get more than two per post):

David

Lucky

just a note, that fuel filter looks old, have a new one for it?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on July 08, 2005, 03:42:40 PM
just a note, that fuel filter looks old, have a new one for it?

The picture does it justice...it's worse than it looks.  I'm gonna pick up a new one this weekend.

David

YellowJacket!

Well, I got my tank back today and it looks beautiful!? And it's still only primer coated.

Overall, this turned out to be the most expensive part of my project.? $240.00 for redoing the tank which included removing the old finish, grinding out about 1 lb of body filler (gained back about 1 gal), pulling out all the dents, leading all the holes, sandblasting, finishing and priming.? Add in another $40.00 for the POR and $90.00 for the NEW petcock and it equals more than half of what I spent on the rest of the bike.? In the end, I think it will be worth it since I am trying to keep the bike as original as possible.

I'm going to ride it with primer a few times while I save up the $$ to get the tank and plastics painted...about another $150.00.

I'm going to spend the rest of the day putting my carbs back together and pick up a new fuel filter so hopefully? I will be able to ride it today.? ;D

I have untill 5pm tonight when my wife gets home to finish the job since we are celebrating our 9th anniversary tonight and I have to take her out to dinner. So wish me luck (with the bike)? ::) .

Here are the new pics:

David

YellowJacket!