Main Menu

Valve Tool Blues

Started by reverendSkip, July 13, 2005, 11:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reverendSkip

I just bought a used '83 Vision from a fella advertising in the newspaper.  I got a great deal on the bike, but because it needed work.  My buddy and I have been working on it whenever we get the chance.  So far we've replaced the oil filter, changed the oil, air filter, broken turn signals, fixed a sticky throttle, got the bike to start ok, and idle (finally).  We've replaced all the hoses and got rid of vaccuum leaks.

Because it's still running choppy and hesitating during and around idle, we're having trouble syncing the carbs.  We took a listen to the engine, and decided to disassemble it and take a look.  One shim from the front cylinder needs to be replaced, and all four in the rear cylinder need to be changed.

From the two manuals I have, and from reading the forum here I know the tool I need to change the shims, but the only local Yamaha dealer laughed at me when I tried to order the part at the store.  He was on the phone with the Yamaha part dealer for a few minutes, and simply gave me the information I already knew, and told me to contact the manuf. of the tool, adding "good luck".

From reading some past posts, I've noticed that other riders of the Vision bike are willing to loan out their tools.  Please let me know if I could borrow one. I can pay for shipping, and will place a deposit on the tool through Paypal, as long as it is refunded once I ship the tool back.
This will be my first motorcycle.  I'm so close to getting it to run right I can taste it.  Please help me by letting me know if I could borrow your tool! The part number is YM-28899, lifter depressing tool.

Thank you,

Jay

Superfly

I just ordered one from Yamaha of North Hollywood (Ca.).  You could call other dealers and see if they would order one, and ship one to you.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

I don't have one to loan out at the moment, but if you don't come up with one, you can grind one out of a 22mm wrench:

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Go to the independant shop in your area, order from K&L. $28.00 +/-

If I ever ride to the east coast, Lucky, I'm bringing a 22mm wrench. If you have made this tool, YOU ARE THE MAN

I want to watch you do one 8)
;D
coil

Lucky

I made my first one on a bench grinder & burned the shit out of my fingers, several times, because i couldn't find my vicegrips, lol

I have a 'real' one now, the old one is buried in a box ...somewhere.. i think :0
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

the Venture tool which is still available will work IF you grind a bit off the middle part that goes between the shim buckets. This part is avaiable #33961. But you best have patience to make this work.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Paul_Jungnitsch

If you really can't find one you can just unbolt the camshaft and lift it up a bit. That's what I did when the yamaha dealer sold me the wrong tool and I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work.

reverendSkip

Thanks for offering me the plans, Lucky.  In the process of searching for the closest K&L dealers, I happened to find a fella who lives in the area and runs a parts and repair shop from his home.  He offered to let me borrow the tool.  He also traded me three of the shims I needed (the other 2 I had to pay $8 each from the local Yamaha dealer).  And if you can create this tool from the wrench you are talking about, thats amazing.

Glyn

I also need to check my valves etc. Is lifting the camshaft OK?. Any chance you could upset timing etc? Can you easily remove the shims using this method. Sounds like a good plan since checking the valves is a fairly in frquent job. How often is recommended?

Cheers Glyn

PS could any one help me out on a Keihn carb strip? - see off topic.

Coil Coyle

Rev,

Camtool Part Number: 35-3470
Brand: K&L
Name: VALVE SHIM TOOL:YAM XZ550

Try the valve adjust, if you write down the numbers as you go it is kinda fun. Make sure the shims the dealer hands you have not had the number worn off.

;)

coil