News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Leaking radiator feed tubes

Started by rialtosoundboy, July 12, 2005, 08:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rialtosoundboy

I have a leak on the radiator feed tubes to the water pump housing .  Do I have to take off the water pump in order to remove them? The Haynes repair book is nebulous on this.  Furthermore, If I do that, where can I get a gasket to replace the one I ripped off to get to this let alone the O - rings which are obviously gone. Then , do I need to seal the water pump gasket with some sort of goop?  Where the heck do I get the replacement O - Rings.  My 82 Vision project is quickly becoming a vortex of despair.  PLEASE HELP!!  ( I have a flare for the dramatic.  Thanks in advance to all and any.

louthepou

Hi there,

Don't despair, there's hope!

I'm pretty sure all gaskets and o-rings for this are still available at a local yamaha dealer. Most won't know the Vision, they might need a bit of help finding the right parts; I usually visit http://www.yamaha-motor.com/ and get the parts number myself, then go to the dealer with this information.

If the hose is leaking at the pump, there may be just some rust on the pump fitting 'nob' or 'thingy" on which the hose slides.

Drain the coolant (big drain bolt on the pump), detach the hose (more coolant will drip), clean the connection, inspect the hose (change if needed), put new clamps. That should deal with it.

If some part of the pump 'nob' is damaged, you'll need to replace the housing but I'd be very suprised if that was the case. Even so, some of us on the Forum must have spares.

Hope this helps,

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

Lou, i think he's refering to the 2 chrome tubes. if this is the case, you can bring the tubes to any auto parts store & they should be able to match up the o-rings.? some people double them up --2 on each end. & then use a dab of blue silicone over the top just to keep sand particles from working their way in there & chewing up the o-rings.

gaskets are still ava at the dealer as Lou said.? it's a good idea to bring in a printout as Lou also suggested.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Oops...  :-[

Sorry about any confusion. Lucky's got a good tip, two o-rings where the chromed tubes go in the pump housing!

Cheers

Lou

rialtosoundboy

Again, THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!   But, Um, I still don't know how to get those tubes out of the pump housing (Lucky, you nailed what I needed).  Does the whole housing need to come off?  It would make sense that it did.  If so, replace the water pump gasket? (any sealant needed?)  Want to be sure before I tackle this critter.  You were right, the O-rings are still available.  Just ordered them.  I really am beholden to all who have replied. I REALLY appreciate it all the support for my inane questions.
Final carb question(Uh, sure...) The little plastic air intake "thingy" (Looks like a grey flying saucer)  that goes to the carb which has a special little seat for it attached to the carb is filthy (Internally).  Can I just wash it in something?  The Yamaha dealer delights in saying to me, "Discontinued".
Thanks!

Superfly

To take off the waterpump housing, there are 4 screws (one of them is really long) make a note of which screws go where.  when you take the housing off you can get those tubes out.  when you re-assemblem it will seal back up without any sealant (the housing, not the tubes!) when you take the housing off, you will see a seal in there.  I wipe it clean to make sure it makes a good seat upon installation.

The "flying saucer" is an air filter for the carbs.  try blowing it out with compressed air.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

rialtosoundboy

Superfly,
Thank you very much for the quick reply.  Really appreciate it.  Off I go to pull those bolts and replace a clutch lever. 

QBS

If the two chrome tubes are leaking, simply pull them out of their sockets.  There is absolutely no reason to remove the water pump housing to replace the chrome pipe O rings.  They just stick into their holes and are held in place by the compression of the O rings.  This compression also provides the coolent seal.

After they're pulled out, clean their ends sqeaky clean with steel wool or the like.  Then clean their sockets the same way.  Reinstallation:  Lightly grease the first qurter inch of chrome tubes and slide a new O ring on about a quarter inch up each end.  Light grease the inside of each socket and slide the ends of the chrome tubes into their sockets.  This will not be a straight shot.  Do the water pump housing end first and then manipulate the other end as needed to insert it into the cylinder water manifolds. 

When doing the insertation, you will probably have to force the O rings into their sockets with a small flat blade not too sharp type tool.  Be careful not to damage the O in the process.  But be sure that you do get the O rings fully seated in their sockets.  Cheers.

Lucky

Whatever method you choose, be sure to loosen the bleed bolt on the metal junction tube under the tank. if you don't bleed all the air out of the system you'll run hot & your temp guage may even read incorrectly.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

I once broke one of the aluminum parts recieving the tubes on the cylinders. I'd use caution, just in case...

Lou