Once last PORing question

Started by crackerkorean, July 11, 2005, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

Ok I did the metal ready and my wifes hair dryer is pointed at the opening for gas and drying.

How long should I do this?

Ok I lied one more.

how long can I want before I actually POR the tank? Can I wait till tomorrow?

YellowJacket!

from my recent experience, I can tell you that the longer you let the dryer go the better off you will be.  My tank is an 83, so I removed both the petcock and fuel guage sender cover which gave better airflow.  I dried it for about an hour.  I used duct tape to hold the dryer in the fill hole and started on the low setting, ran it on high for a bit then went back to low.  The tank gets pretty warm during the process.

From my understanding, the tank will develop some rust as soon as it is dry.  My guess is the sooner you POR it after it is dry, the better.  I would at least let it cool down from the hair dryer.  POR recomends room temp.

In retrospect, I think my tank was still a bit warm and thats why I had no POR left over to pour out.

And finally, there is no *last* question about POR  ;)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

crackerkorean

It looks like itl have to wait till tomorrow night to get PORed. The tank is dry but still very warm and there is not enough time tonight to do the PORing.

Hope its ok

Lucky

Barring any extensive hole patching, the whole process (3 steps) should be able to be completed in an afternoon
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

All told mine probably took a little longer with my difficulties doing the marine clean.

I found a better way to duct tape everything, granted I used a 1/3 of the roll but it worked and worked well.

tomorrow evening I will be poring the tank.

crazyjimmy

I tried the duct tape route and was sadly disappointed.
I went to the dollar store and found some colored modeling clay. If you dont mash it in the holes, just around the holes it works rather well.
Jim

YellowJacket!

Duct Tape....MAN's second best friend.

Actually, I used Aluminum Duct Tape.  The heating and air guys left a few rolls in my attic when I got my new HVAC installed a few years ago.  Pretty expensive stuff but it works very well.  Its a couple mils thick and has very strong adhesive. Its great for sealing things up...temporary or permanent.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

crackerkorean

Once I though about how to tape up everything it was ok. Doing the marine clean just frustrated me to no end. But everything else went smoothly. Now its just a matter of waiting.

So how do you start and run a bike without the gas tank so I can go ahead and sync the carbs and what not.

Lucky

safest way is to use a pony tank from the bike shop. that said, you can rig one up with a soda bottle.

crackerkorean

You have to excuse my ignorance.
What is a pony tank and how do I make one from a soda bottle?

Lucky

Thread a 1/4 brass fitting or better off a valve into the cap into a 20 oz or 2ltr soda bottle & epoxy it in place so it doesn't leak (test it with water)  do the same at the bottom of the bottle with a small metal fishtank valve to let air in as the fuels being used.  then wrap a couple of wire coat hangers around the bottle & hang it upside down from the bars.  not the safest tank, but it'll do in a pinch.

don't leave gas in it when your not using it.