News:

Main Menu

Cam timing problem

Started by VisionaryDan, July 16, 2005, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionaryDan

Somtimes my stupidity is unbelievable. I recently tried took my bike to the dealer to find out what the dreaded knock could be. Cam chain adjuster they said. 
After disassembling it I cant' believe there is anything wrong with it but any how...

... to make a lond story short I ended up (though a number of stupid mistakes) loosing my cam timing - chain jumped. I've since had the cam cover off three times trying to get it right but to no avail. Help!

I've put the flywheel at TDC but how do I find out if I am on the compresson or the exhaust stroke. After having it apart 3 times I don't know if one or both of the Cams are 180 degress off. I have the Haynes manual and it's not very clear how to set this up.

I sent for the Yamaha manual from Lucky but if some one could give me a heads up prior to getting it I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

Lucky

as a matter of fact, i just burned your CD..it's still warm, lol..
i'll email you the cam pages. it's in .pdf, so you'll need adobe.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VisionaryDan

Ok, those pages from the Yamaha manual definitly helped. The bike is running now anyway. It's running like dog poop but it's running. Here's my next quesition could it now be one tooth off on the retarded side and still run? Without hitting valves?

If so I believe I need to turn the cams counter clockwise (on the sprocket side) one tooth???

Dan

Lucky

I can't answer that one, but if it helps, when i do an engine mod like changing a cam, or even installing a timing belt, i give the engine 4 complete revolutions, by hand, very slowly, to verify yhat all the timing marks line up (assuming it's not an interference engine....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

VisionaryDan

Thanks Lucky,

Well I'll pull it apart again and see if everything still lines up. What do you mean an interference engine?

Dan

louthepou

If I'm not mistaken, that term refers to an engine that, should a valve be fully open, a piston going up would eventually make contact with the valve. This isn't the case in some engines where even with the valve open and piston at TDC, there's still some room.

Then again, maybe I'm not right.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Paul_Jungnitsch

You are right. The cam belt broke on my Mazda pickup and no problem, the pistons could move up and down and not hit the valves jutting down. The same thing happened on the neighbours K-car years ago and it ruined the engine.

On my Vison, on the other hand, I'm assuming when the lower cam sprocket let go, the piston hit the valves and the camshaft then broke in half when the cam sprocket 'caught' again with the valves and piston out of time. So it would be an interferance engine.

VisionaryDan

It's running! about as well as it was previous to my screw-up. Lesson learned never never remove the cam chain adjusters unless that cylinder is at TOC or your sure the valves are not partially open. Otherwise the spring tension on the valves will turn the cam when the chain has slack in it. - dumb mistake.

Both cylinders were off. One tooth on the front on the exhaust cam and the rear cylinder was off one tooth on the intake. I'm just lucky that I didn't bend a valve.

My knock is still there and I agree with Lucky's last suggestion valves are in need of an adjustment. I don't have the proper tools for that so I'm going to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

Coil Coyle

Dan,
Camtool Part Number: 35-3470
Brand: K&L
Name: VALVE SHIM TOOL:YAM XZ550

Try the valve adjust, if you write down the numbers as you go it is kinda fun. Make sure the shims the dealer hands you have not had the number worn off.

;)

coil