Carb Overhaul Question

Started by YellowJacket!, July 17, 2005, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I completely disassembled my carbs and soaked them in carb cleaner.  I have dried them with compressed air and am about to put them back together.  (I have all new gaskets)
The question is:  Do I have to prime the bowls and pump with gas by pouring a little in when I reassemble them, or will they prime themselves when I open the fuelcock and try to start the bike?

Thanks,

David

Pictures to follow.

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ProfessorRex

Put the petcock on "PRIME" to PRIME the carbs  ;)

That bypasses the vacuum valve in the petcock and allows gas to flow freely

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

You will have to do some throttle twisting to fill the accel pump & lines, but i have a better alternative.

while the carbs are on the bench, & your just about done, have them connected by the braces, & the accel line attached. while the rear carb top is off,  fill the rear bowl with gas and operate the throttle several times till the nozzles squirt.

you chould have a nice cone shaped spray, if not, use ONE STRAND of picture hanging wire to clean out the nozzles. if they are really bad you'll have to pull them off. that procedure is best explaned over the phone, so call if you need to.

also, this is the time to make sure they are alligned properly. it affects performance.  they should spray between the wall of the carb & the throttle plate. if they don't, gently bend them till they do.

be sure to synq the carbs & set the pilots when the carbs are back on.  hopefully you recorded the pilot settings before you pulled the carbs so the bike starts easy, or close to it.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

After you've done Lucky's checks and have the carbs back on the bike, do yourself a favor and rig an aux fuel tank. Then you can see if the bike will run before you put the airbox and tank back on. You will have to block the vacuum lines for the petcock and airbox flapper. Also, put the aux tank above the carbs and fuel pump. The pump is not self-priming and will not lift fuel up if it has air in it. Be careful and good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!