News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Radiator hoses size?

Started by hfarley, July 21, 2005, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

I am looking to replace what I believe are two hoses that go into the radiator. They are the ones that if you were sitting on the bike would be on your right side and in front of your right knee approx. They are the ones that are largere and have those metal, spiral, guard things on them. What I need to know is what size hose they are. Basically what the inside diameter is. I will get a long length of the stuff when I am there so I don't need the length but I need the width. I tried looking it up online but it was kind of confusing and they didn't have any diameters. I would like to pick this up today on the way home and I forgot tot take one off to bring with me. Thanks!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Blake

If you're not in a dire rush to get it before you get home, when i get home ill go measure the outlets on my spare engine for you.  But I don't get home until around 5:00 (eastern time). 

playing around here at work wiht a ruler and  sizing it with my fingers, im pretty sure the bigger one is a 1" ID and the smaller one is 5/8" id.  but thats just a guess. (lets see how well i know my vision :).

hopefully someone else thats on now can help you out.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

hfarley

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to get it on the way home today so if anyone else can pipe in that would be great. Otherwise I will measure them when I get home or better yet just take them with me. Thanks again though!
-Heather

louthepou

Do any of the bends in the hoses matter?

Just wondering if the hoses were "factory bent"; if straight, regular rad hoses would do.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Have radiator hoses changed much in the last 23 years?? Or are they still the same.? You figiure there might be something out there that would be like an "extension" of the radiator, instead of just plain hoses. 

(edit..) Just did a quick web search and nevermind... way too expensive!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

hfarley

Oh boy. I didn't realise that these were going to be special hoses. I just figured that I could go to the bike shop and tell them that I wanted so many inches/ feet of this size radiator hose. Now you have me wondering. There is a bend in them but I figured that it was just like a fuel line or something. You know it curves to fit around whatever it needs to or in the space that it needs to. These are rubber hoses that have that metal spiral protector thing around them. It seems as if my oil spraying problem might be coming from the one as it looks like there is a hairline  crack in it. I figure it is just due to age. Would oil be going threough these hoses? They are black. Also right now I just wrapped some black tape around it and put a zip tie around it to the frame to keep it away from the parts of the bike that gets hot. This is only a temporary fix, not a solution but should I not do this? I am worried about the tape melting I guess.  Thanks!
-Heather

Blake

Heather,

I havent checked out those two radiator hose setups recently (still at work, and bike it under a tarp for the time).. but if there isnt a SHARP radius bend, simple car heater hose will work.? Nice thick stuff thats more durable than what we have (the thin walled).? I just replaced the heater hose on my old caddy and got a bag of 10' for something around $10.? if its the same diameter thatd definately be more than enough.? I always get "universal" things like that from a car store instead of the bike shop.? for one, the car store (autozone, pepboys, advance auto, etc..napa)..? they have a much bigger selection onhand, and plus..the prices are easily 1/2 of what youll find at a bike shop.? If there is some sort of sharp bend and heater hose from autozone doesnt work, youd probabaly get a lot of help by taking the hoses in when its not busy and the guy at the counter would usually be more than happy to go see if any look somewhat the same (they usually are for me :)..

with it being harder to get parts for the bike im having to become more "creative" in my ways ;D

you'd be surpised how many "motocycle parts" i end up buying from autozone..haha

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

hfarley

I do buy a lot of my motorcycle stuff from Pep boys.  I find though that the one by me doesn't have the greatest selection when it comes to hoses though. But the bike shop down the road does.  The curve, without looking at it, seems to be a very gentle slope so to speak. Nothing major that a regular hose couldn't handle. It is just larger than a fuel line.