News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Forks 82 / 83 mix?

Started by Lead_Deficiency, July 22, 2005, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lead_Deficiency

I picked up a pair of 83 forks but the uppers are pitted. Will the 82 upper work in the 83 lower ? and, is it possible to switch out just the air cap at the top of the 83 to make the 82 upper work like the 83?

h2olawyer

Lead -

The answer to all yourt questions is YES!!

I did the swap just like you're anticipating last summer.  The parts work fine mixed.  The only problem I found was that the 82 fork caps don't fin into the 83 tubes.  The threading in the tubes starts farther down than the 82s.  I tried to put the unused parts together & couldn't get the caps to thread.  The 83 air caps do fit the 82 tubes, however.

Also, see if the 83 springs are still within spec.  They are a little different than the 82s (more progressive winding).  Use the 83 springs & spacers if possible.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lead_Deficiency

I have progressive springs in my 82's is it ok to use them ?

Walt_M.

Don't see why not. As H2O said, the '83 caps will fit the '82 tubes so if your progressive springs are still good, you should be ok.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Part #s for Progressive Springs are the same for 82 & 83.  By all means, use the Progressives!  You may find you don't need the air caps with them - but they look so cool.   8)  Besides, you won't know until you have it all together & try it out.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lead_Deficiency

Thanks guys, you sure make things easier  :)

h2olawyer

Glad to help - You found one swap that I've actually done & tried all the various ways to put the parts together!  If you need part #s for Goodridge hoses, Russell fittings & stuff to go with the braided stainless lines, let me know.  I still have all the packages the parts came in.  Plus, I can give some advice for some slightly different parts to make things fit just a little better.

H2O

Superfly

H20,

I just got my 83 forks in the mail today.  The final piece of my puzzle!  I got the forks & calipers (no hoses) could I get the part numbers for the steel braded hoses?

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Superfly -

Congrats on getting the 83 forks!? Hope you have the master cylinder, too.? It's different (pumps more fluid) than the 82.

The following parts are what I used.? This was originally installed with the 82 tall risers.? I'll note the different length hose to compensate.? Mine's still the long one & loops in a big "S" curve behind the tach.

Hoses:
(1) # 1741-0046? ?17" Goodridge?
(1) # 1741-0045? ?16" Goodridge
(1) # 1741-0043? ?14" Goodridge? (Get one a couple inches shorter for 83 risers)

Banjo Bolts & Fittings:? (All Russell Parts)
(4) # R40514? 10x1.25mm banjo bolts
(1) # R40508? 10x1.25mm double banjo bolt
(6) # 4050C? ? Chrome Banjo fittings

I used 1&1/2 small bottles of Bel-Ray DOT 4 fluid to get mine done.? That included cleaning all the parts & bleeding it twice.? (second time when the double banjo bolt was installed.

If you use the stock splitting manifold, you want to change one of the banjo fittings to either a straight or 90 deg. fitting.? It will clear the mounting on the lower triple tree much better than the 15 - 20 degree ones I used.

You'll also need 11 new crush washers.? Can't find the part # for those off hand.? I'll look tomorrow.

If you don't have the stock single to dual brake line manifold, you can use a "T" fitting in its place:? Part # 824-03CH? ?Reference # 03-6044? Biker's Choice by Goodridge.? I used it in place of the manifold originally because my double banjo bolt was on backorder.? When the bolt came in, I switched to the stock setup.? If you use the "T" fitting, you need 3 fewer banjo fittings, no double banjo bolt & 1 fewer single banjo bolt.? The hoses connect directly to the "T".

A better solution is probably to use two hoses from the master cylinder, routing one to each caliper.? That's how many top performance brakes are done today.? I decided to use the stock setup.

Get yourself a couple speed bleeders & a large syringe - it makes brake bleeding much easier!? It also helps to fill the hoses as you put the system together.? You use a lot of brake fluid since you'll be bleeding most of that stuff back out while getting the trapped air out of the system but it sure made my system solid!

Kind of a complex bunch of parts but you'll love the brakes when you're done.? I removed the tank, fairing & front fender, and covered everything else with large garbage bags when I did mine.? Brake fluid eats paing quickly!

If your master cylinder plastic is cloudy, you can get a new sight glass from a watchmaker - or repairer.? Remove ALL the old plastic sight glass & remnants & take it in to the repairman.? They will measure it & get the right size for you.? Better too small than too big.? Then, just epoxy it into place.? Mine's been in for almost a year.? Very clear & no leaks.? Lucky found one on eBay but I haven't been able to find the vendor recently.? He may still have the guy's email, though.

Hope this helps & if you have any questions, ask away.? I still remember most of what I did when I made the conversion last year.

Good Luck!

H2O

Lucky

the sight glass info is here, don't know the status of his supply
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=826.0

i still need the ft valve cover gasket...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Just a quick note; in rebuilding an 82 with an 83 front end, I found the thread at the top of the 82 fork tubes wasn't going in deep enough to fit the 83 caps (those with the thingies to put air in). I did keep the progrssive springs though,

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

Looks like another quality control issue.  My 82 tubes accepted the 83 caps with no problems.  However, the 82 caps wouldn't fit in the 83 tubes - the threads start too deep.

H2O

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on July 27, 2005, 12:16:16 AM
i still need the ft valve cover gasket...

Lucky -

Try Speed & Sport - they say they have 6 on hand.  $26.30 ea.

http://66.165.107.171/index.tpl

enter part # 11H-11193-00-00

H2O

Superfly

Thanks for the info H20, I have a Master cylinder from a Seca turbo (dual front brakes) that I am gonna use for this project.  I am glad you mentioned it though, because I might not have realized that!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

The Devil is in the details!

Glad to help.

H2O