Main Menu

Overheating

Started by hfarley, July 25, 2005, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok, now first I would like to comment that I did go back and read some of the old posts on this subject so I have some ideas on where to start with this one. Here's the deal:
Yesterday I got ambitious. I went out and worked on my Mamba for almost the entire day minus a totally unecessary but fun trip to Home Depot. I took my time, and learned how to drain an, flush and refill my coolant. I know, no big deal but it was my first time. (I can't say that about too many things anymore so... ;) ) Drained everything like the manual said, cleaned off all of the screws/bolts. Replaced the hoses with the brand new hoses from my parts bike. (didn't have to go to the store after all)Cleaned those coil thingies that go around the hoses. Put everything back on bike. I even replaced the clutch cable and parts. Then went out for a very short ride last night. I got across the street into the big parking lot to test her out for any leaks/issues and within 15 minutes or less she was in the red. The fan was on and continued to stay on even after I turned the bike off for a bit. It was approx 85 degrees here yesterday. NOw this was not happeneing before I did the whole coolant change. I did start her up and let her run, then shut off and refilled. Did this a couple of times. Now when I came back last night the bike was too hot to take the cap off to see if it was even lower so that is my first check. I am also going to be rechecking all of the connections as something may have fallen off when I was reattaching the hoses.  So it may be nothing more than low fluid or something needing to be reattached.  Now I don't know if this has anything to do with anything or not but when I went to put my battery tender jr on the bike last night and the night before it got really hot. I don't ever remember it doing that before. Could my battery tender be bad or could thiss be an indication of something else? The battery is less than a year old and so is the tender.  Any suggestions on either matter would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-Heather :P
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

Heather -

As for the coolant, did you remember to burp the system by taking out the bolt in the fitting on the hose that runs under the fuel tank?  This is an easy step to miss & when I did mine the first time, I had similar gauge readings.  After burping the system, the cooling & gauge readings returned to normal.

Not sure about your Battery Tender Jr. issue.  I use the same system & have had no problems with it for a year & a half.  Do you unplug the unit from the wall before you reconnect the battery leads, then plug it in again?  That's the recommendation from Deltran.  I found that leaving it plugged in & just disconnecting & reattaching the battery leads would cause it to charge when it didn't need to.  (LED would glow red)  Try unplugging the unit, connecting the battery leads then plugging it back in.  This may help - if you haven't been doing it like this in the past.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

PS the bike also starts fine. Actually other than this problem she is running pretty well.
-Heather

hfarley

H2O-
I always put the leads on the battery then plug it into the wall when charging. I have never had a problem until a few days ago. I will see if I still have the receipt and the paperwork. Maybe they will give me an exchange since it is not even a year old. I did check the water in the battery and it was fine so I don't think it is that either since that was brand new in October.

I thought I got the system burped but I will try it again tonight when I go home. Since it was the first time I just may not have done it enough. (Keep your fingers crossed that is all it is)
Thanks for the suggestions!
-Heather

h2olawyer

Heather -

Hope the suggestions with the coolant work.  Last time I changed mine - when I went to Engine Ice coolant - I filled it through the "burp bolt" hole, with the radiator cap off.  It takes quite a while & a small funnel, but I found it didn't need burping after filling it that way.

I forget who posted this suggestion last year but it works great!  Thanks!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

I will definatly do that when I get home. Thanks!
;D ;D

hfarley

Ok I went and took the gas tank off last night and the radiator cover. Looked inside the radiator-low fluid, and the resevoir was enmpty. So I definately did not add enough fluid. Will do that tonight. Went to try to remove that bolt under the tank. Got hubby involved since the bolt is so rusted or what ever that it iwill not come out. We got it halfway out and gave up last night after hubby accidentially squeezed the ratchet against two hose pushing them into the frame and creating holes in both of them. (I still love him though  ;) ) Anyway after much cursing last night I decided to take a break and go back to tackling it again today. I sprayed some wd-40 on the bolt and hopefully by today will have lubed it enough to remove it. Thank god for the spare bike! I removed thae one on that so I made sure I was turning it the correct way and now I have an extra good clean bolt to replace the crappy one once I get it off.  So I am guessing that the whole isssue with the over heating is from low coolent.

On another note, one of the things that has been perplexing me was how to remove the air box. Well last night I finally figured it out. Whoo Hoo!! Now I just have to get everything back on and hooked up correctly.  :P.

I will keep you guys posted on my progress!
-Heather

h2olawyer

Heather -

Ain't learning new things about motorcycle maintenance fun!  Congrats on getting down to the carbs & coolant bolt.  Low coolant level will most assuredly cause overheating!  Must be nice to have a decent parts bike.  I haven't gotten around to finding one yet.  They tend to be a little rare around here - running or not!

For stuck bolts, try PB Blaster - available at most auto parts stores & my local hardware store also carries it.  Best stuff I've found.  Works as well as Aero-Kroil but is actually easily available & less costly!

H2O

hfarley

Having a parts bike is great! Not only for the spare parts but also for the ability to try things out on it before I touch the good bike. LOL! I was shopping for hose last night and didn't get a chance to actually fix anything on the bike last night. I will be working on it tonight though. Hopefully I will be able to get her up and running to go out for a test ride tonight. I'll let you know! Thanks for the advice!
-Heather