Float material?

Started by Lucky, July 27, 2005, 12:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Does anyone, by any chance, happen to know where i can get the closed cell float material? i have a spare set of 83 carbs with a broken float.  i've carved a replacement out of balsa wood (don't laugh) just beacuse i had the balsa handy, i haven't sealed it yet, just wanted to see how close i could get...

if i could get a small block of the stuff, i think i could carve a new one..  anyone know if there are U.S manufacturers of carbs that use floats?  i'd call the plant directly & see if i could buy a scrap piece..

hmmm...would it be a similar material used in fuel tank floats?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Don't laugh - (too hard - actually more pitiful than a balsa wood float)

I had a 72 Ford Pinto  ::)  that used similar material for the float.  It became fuel logged & I had to replace it.  The carb kit at the time (about 1978 - 80) included the float so it must have been a somewhat common failure.  Unfortunately, I don't have the kit # anymore - besides, it was a kit from Big A Auto which I believe has gone belly-up.  It was a fairly large float so if you could find a similar kit - you might be able to get the material that way.  Don't have the carb # either.  Not much, but it is a lead.  I'm sure other cars had similar float material, too.

I'll do some searching and see what else I can find.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Brainflash!  Grab a fuel tank fuel sender out of a junkyard & use the foam in the float, it should be a large chunk...
yes?

Coil Coyle

Lucky,
And when you are through carving, be sure to seal it with POR or epoxy or something. The actual foam is porous.

coil

Lucky

I have an 83 float I carved out of Balsa wood, i had it so i thought i'd give it a shot, but i haven't tried it.  It needs to be sealed too, I figured i'd seal it with the fuel proof sealer they use on model planes, it's very thin stuff.

the balsa float weighs in at only 3 grams, so i don't want to add a lot of weight with the sealer.  i have to pull the good float on the spare carb to see what it weighs.