Leather Speaks

Started by Leather, February 04, 2005, 02:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather

Hey Guys  ;D

For whatever reasons I have some time on my hands and motivated. SOoo... am going to update the web pages regarding Vision stuff. Nothing earth shattering here.  Just adding email info, feedback, etc...

BUT..some questions and insights.  First - emails.

I am always amazed by the emails I get concerning the Vision Ignition Faq and (on seperate page) Vision Owners Faq.  There is a lot of interest in both the Ignition topic in general ... and the Vision bike.  The irony of this is NOT lost on me.  I fly (part time) for the military a plane called the A-10 which was SUPPOSED to be gone in 1991.  Planning is now in place (by Air Force, Congress, ....)  to fund upgrades to our jets till........ get this  2028  (yeah... thats 23 years from now !!??)

Unbelievable.

The moral: newer is NOT always better.

NOW... this does not fully explain a bunch of guys riding Visions. We're all nuts has far as I can figure. I have 2 '83's ...  so I can say this.

What the f*ck are we thinking?!!??

Still, when all is good and the moons align. SHe rocks.

Anway - I digress:

I get lots of emails.  Some simple iginition questions.  Many about carb stuff. I'm a race/carb idiot so I always go... goto Ron's Forum, Ron's Forum, Ron's Forum....... Riders Of Vision Hoo Rah.  You guys are the experts. Not me.

I've gotten some wild emails from PHD type folks asking how to solve high level ignition problems for airplanes, race cars, and ..... automatic shifting racing motocycles.  Space shutttle type sh*t.

Whooah... dude.   Mensa, theory of gravity... 2 doors down on the left. I just wanna ride occasionally , ok?

I get lots of emails from NEW Vision owners who have found the Vision Owner Faq.  Many are  in fairly broken english as these bikes are popular in Europe (Poland especially). The Candians email often but don't use the "eh" as much in typing  :-)

Bottom line is: still a lot of interest in this old wacky ride.  Why?  Can't totally explain it.  They made other (better) motorcycles right?  What's so unique about this one that we keep it alive.  Really, someone needs to explain this. Really.  Anyone. Forum topic # 300245.

As for me.

I am finally painting my (bought 2 years ago) replacement '83 tank to match my bike.  Had to pay Upholsterer $50 to redo my seat back rest (ugh... should have beeen a Upholsterer)

My other '83 (wifes?!)  is getting a carb swap. Let sit too long and floats froze. Stupid.

Some thoughts:

- WD40

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

- Por15

http://www.rags2riches-por15.com/

- Platikote engine enamel

http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote/auto/template.jsp?searchcode=RES&product=EngineEnamel

- Amsoil

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/amsoil_synthetics_slipperiness_and_wet_clutches.htm

- Keep your bike covered (sun is the ENEMY).
UV protection UV protection UV protection

- "Gell"  batteries are the way to go !!

Make sure this is right size (I think it is but...)

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc625.htm

- RR (Rectifier Regulator)

I know, pandoras box. Get this. I have OEM   R&R  in my bike since '83.   ???  Observations:

- Don't ride day to day like you guys. Much tougher.
- Keep all connection to R&R   "PERFECT".  I soldered mine.
- Keep Ground to R&R "PERFECT".  FInd it, make it.

Everything else is Jib Jab. The R&R thing s*cks. Replace it or live with it.

Still hav'in fun with a Vision!

Email Anytime.

- Leather

JetAv8r@JetAv8r.Com

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

Lucky

Leather, Allways great to hear from you! to answer all your questions at once: <smirk>

It's just so much FREAKIN' FUN!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Lucky's right - Leather's style is irresistible.

Well, My own personnal reason was once sort of explained by Peter Egan in one editorial in Cycle World Magazine. There's something about your first ride that just makes it unforgettable. Never mind the faster, better handling, more reliable bikes I may have ridden after my first ride on a street with a Vision - there's just something unique about that bike for me.

I could make a parallel with a certain girl I once was intimate with, and the fact that I just can't forget about her, but I'm affraid I will get shot from someone misunderstanding.

So, there it is. The Vision is the first bike I tried on a paved road, and I very vividly remember the first twist of the throttle, the first couple of shifts, the first braking before a curve. Can't say it's that vivid with any other ride.

Louis

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Wayne

One more comment. My first ride was a 1948 Whizzer. Second was 1950 Harley Hummer and so on and so on. Have owned  over 125 models and brands. (NO, I will not tell my age) I now own and ride a 82 Vision which I seem to be working on all the time. I love the bike and love to ride it. I guess some of us are just spacey and way out there. Oh well, it is my money. Wayne

h2olawyer

Leather -

Thanks for your service!  That A-10 is still a marvel.  Slow, highly armored and very maneuverable.  It fills a role nothing else in the arsenal can do.  You would think that maybe copters could fill that close air support / tank killer role & they do to a certain degree, but they can be delicate.  (10,000 rotating parts held together by a jesus clip)  At least it's not as old as the B-52s!  Learned lots from your ignition page - excellent job.

As for the Vision, we must all be a bit deranged.  That wide, kick-a** powerband coming out of corners on the mountain roads around here is what does it for me.  That and the mild, easy going manners in town traffic.  Like Louis, this was my first street bike.  I, too, remember my first ride - 4K RPM stumble & all!  Wanted one when I first saw the advertising in late 81.  Didn't have the funds until 84 but there were still 2 at my local dealership. (both 82s 1 black & 1 silver - now mine)

Thanks to the tips in this forum, there is no more stumble & I can even crack the throttle wide open at any time without bogging!  Wouldn't do that even when new.

My stator was doing fine until I decided to solder the connections a year ago.  It lasted about 500 miles then fried.  >:( I put the new one in, along with a new R/R and used the connectors.  Figured that if it was going to fry itself anyway, I might as well make it as easy as possible to test & replace.  The original R/R was working well, so I keep it as a spare and take it with me on longer rides.  I did leave the main ground soldered, though.  The drier climate here lessens the electrical corrosion problems most of you experience.  That & my V has spent its entire life stored indoors.  (sometimes for several years at a time  :( )

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lead_Deficiency

lol

A little pent up frustration "eh".
 Nice post Leather.

Lucky

reading these posts, another analogy comes to mind: you might don the $125 Nike's for a serious 10 K marathon, but it's the comfy $30 Keds you wear for the pick up game of B-ball for fun.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

You don't really want to know why I ride a Vision do you? Good onfo from Leather, always. Wish I hadn't just popped for the wallyworld battery. I will get a gel cell next time.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Sable

The '82 Vision is my second bike, my first was a 1975 Kawasaki H-1... a 3 cylinder two stroke.. More like a chainsaw with tires!
I like riding the vision for manny reasons, like the shaft drive, I've just always been told this is much better than any other type of drive... The comfort of the riding position (will be more comfortable when I get around to installing the '83 rear shock). And so far, it seems pretty easy to work on, with all the help here and the fact that nothing seems very hard to get to. Also, the potential of all of the modifications that can be done to it. This bike, for me is going to be a constant "work-in-progress". All this and I am a little warped ;)
I wish you can take me for a spin in the A-10, as a former Air Force SP, (now in Air Force computer networking), I have always loved the A-10... in fact, with my shark fairing, I was contemplating painting the mouth like on the A-10s and putting a cylinder coming out the front for a round headlight to look like a gatling gun ;D
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Glyn Pickering

It seems I'm not as old as some or most on the site - but getting there. I've also had plenty of bikes, Brit, Italian German - but mostly Jappa's since for years a bike has been my my only form of transport. I like to think I can fix whatever I ride and hate that "plug in and tune" mentality that has now got the automotive industry. (In fact most aspects of life).

Old Brits are just too dodgey for an everyday ride (apart from a BSA Bantam). The Yam is a good compromise of basic and modern technology. Most dealers I've been too remember them as being hand grenades in their day and are amazed that any are still running.

To me it's still got to prove it'self through a New Zealand winter but from what I hear it will be up to it. It's not boring
like my last bike a 650GT Hawk (yawn), although not as quick either. I suppose that X factor keeps us there.

Regards

Glyn

Superfly

For me, it is simple Economics

? ? Ford Expolorer ? vs. ? ?Yamaha Vision

Gas ? ? ? ? ? $20 a day ? ? ? ? ? ? ?$7 a day
insurance  ?$110/mo ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?$32/mo
tags ? ? ? ? ?$350 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? $42
fun ? ? ? ? ? ?none ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Priceless!

Other than economics, I do love the low end torque of this bike. ?I just rode a 96 Suziki GSXR 750, it had great speed, but felt very hollow. ?Plus the comfort level on this bike (to me) is great. ?I have a very comfortable hour ride in to work (just got my 83 footpegs!) where as the Suziki, well, lets just say the things I have done in that position I can not talk about on this forum!! ?I was not sure if I shoud ride it or .... :o!

Plus, there are not alot of them around, I like haveing a bike that does not look like every other bike on the road!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.