News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Need Carb MOJO help

Started by YellowJacket!, August 03, 2005, 02:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Junior

Hope my wife does not read this post. Will tell where to put my V and my Ten cents. Oh well, at least it's Friday

Lucky

the nickle trick is only for the early NON-vacuume operated airbox flapper doors. what it does is cause the door to open a bit later.

the o-ring is the first piece to go into the carbs followed by the washer, spring &then the mix screw. it's easy to miss. pull it out with a pick or a bent paperclip.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Well, was a silly newbie thing causing the idle problem.  In my haste to get things done, I inadvertantly mixed up the jets. 122.5 and 127.5 on the front and 135's on the back.  They need to stamp them numbers bigger...or I need new contact lenses.  Replaced all the jets today along with the boots (compliments of DGY), boot gaskets, and hoses and she sounds wonderful.  No more rich gas smell either.

First official ride is to work tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

David -

It's usually something simple.  Even on the new jets, those numbers are hard to read. I use a good light & magnifying glass to make sure of jet sizes.  Wouldn't even try to read them with my contacts but my glasses work well for me.  I couldn't read them any better 10 years ago, either!

Good luck on that first commute.  It gives a whole new perspective on the work day.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Oh boy, I am so excited to share this with you guys, you can appreciate (I hope).

Last spring, as I was putting back together a set of carbs from (I can't remember how many) spare ones, I tried reading the jets' sizes. Ended up bringing all of my jets to work - a natural sciences Museum, with a nice digital microscope hooked up to a computer and projector. So on the 3rd floor of Canada's Nature Museum, on a large screen, my work colleagues were able to contemplate the numbers on tiny jets from Vision carbs. And call be a freak. What a feeling.

I guess a magnifying glass could work too... but a microscope is more fun.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

i usually rub a little something over the numbers, like a tiny dab of dirty grease. it seems to help.  Radio shack sells a hand held lighted microscope that helps.

mayby we shoulld call ourselves the BROV (Blind Riders of Vision), lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

Quote from: louthepou on August 19, 2005, 10:09:31 PM
Oh boy, I am so excited to share this with you guys, you can appreciate (I hope).

Last spring, as I was putting back together a set of carbs from (I can't remember how many) spare ones, I tried reading the jets' sizes. Ended up bringing all of my jets to work - a natural sciences Museum, with a nice digital microscope hooked up to a computer and projector. So on the 3rd floor of Canada's Nature Museum, on a large screen, my work colleagues were able to contemplate the numbers on tiny jets from Vision carbs. And call be a freak. What a feeling.

I guess a magnifying glass could work too... but a microscope is more fun.

Lou

Ha!!!!? I just found a small paint booth with an air compressor/air tool hookups and exhaust vents and really nice overhead lighting at my place of employment.? It looks like it has not been used for a very long time....? ?I am going to have to fire that baby up, replace the exhaust filters and see where it takes me.....

Chris F.