News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Great Honda PC800- Vision Comparo

Started by wolfman, August 14, 2005, 04:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

As some of you who read my "Soon to be Visionless" thread may be aware, I am now the proud owner of a 1989 Honda (gasp!) PC800 Pacific Coast.? Thought you might be curious how it compares to my "V".

Well somethings never change....
I had my suspicions that the battery wasn't charging when I got it...It wasn't.? A new R/R from Ricks ($120 with a 1 year warranty) fixed that.? And took less than 5 minutes to install, including removing/reinstalling two body panels. Glad it wasn't the stator, which tested fine.
(I will add that recent owners kept meticulous maintenance records for this bike!? It has had regular Mobil 1 oil changes since new, and the stator was replaced with "A rebuilt unit" in 97' - about 20k ago) I even have the original owner's manual, tool kit, and they included the HONDA shop manual for it!) Anyway, on to the comparsion.

The PC800 "pulls" harder than the "V" but does not have near the acceleration despite its' 250cc advantage.

The "V" handles quicker but is MUCH less forgiving than the PC800.

The PC800's brakes are MUCH better than the "V" despite it being nearly 150lbs + heavier.

PC800 cruises at highway speeds much easier and at far lower RPM's than the "V" (good thing considering the 7500 rpm redline)

PC800 engine is MUCH quieter and smoother, though part of this may be due to the rubber mounted engine.

PC800's hydraulic clutch took some getting used to, but is much easier on the hand.

PC800 wins the comfortable test hands down.

PC800 (even when the battery was weak/not charging) starts first try (2 seconds MAX crank time) everytime, with no muss, no fuss. (Maybe the electric fuel pump helps here?)

The "V" is more "fun" to ride (in a thrill seeker sort of way) but the PC800 is more "relaxing" to ride.

BOTH bikes have excellent slow speed manners.? But the PC800 feels almost like you would have to force it to fall over during low speed sharp turns despite its' heavier weight, (I was pleasantly surprized by this) while the "V" sometimes feels like it wants to fall over during slow speed sharp turns.

Both bikes see to be equal in the number of looks they get.? (Gotta love "unusual" bikes.)

My plans:? I'll remove the trunk and saddlebags from the "V" and sell them (EBay most likely)? I think once the "V" takes up less space in the storage room, (both bikes fit, and sleep side by side, but its' a bit of a squeeze.? A little cleaning and straightening up of that room should help) my wife may forget about it. ;)? My neighbor may know someone interested in buying it. (I'm not going to push it though) I may be able to get away with keeping it till next spring anyway.? I'll get pictures of both side by side before I do anything.? That should delay the sale of the "V" even longer, as I have only two days off this month between the two jobs. ;D

Coil Coyle

Re: "while the "V" sometimes feels like it wants to fall over during slow speed sharp turns."

Wolf,
? ? ? ? ? That is not a "want to fall" feeling it is sending you... :-[

;) It's saying "I want more throttle, right now" ;D

Enjoy your ride.
coil

VisionVince

What do you have for Vision bags/trunk?  How much?
Visionvince
Nebraska