News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

carb float stuck!!!

Started by squid, August 24, 2005, 08:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squid

hey everyone,,,i need some help, my carb float on the rear carb is stuck!!! and it just happened,  so does anyone have a quick fix without tearing everything apart,,,,i wanna put more miles on asap!!

smknjoe1964

Sable

Tap on the bowl with the handle of a screwdriver.... this should free it up until you can tear them apart to clean them out.

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

squid

k gunna try that right now, the carbs were just cleaned professionally though,,,but anything at this point is worth a try lol,,,,cause i know how much of a pain it will be taking them off,,,lol
let ya all know in about 15 min

squid

nope its a no go,,,,tapped and tapped,,,still have nigara falls flowing,,,,guess i know what i am doing at lunch tomorrow, hmmmm memories of chryslers thermoquad carbs are comming back to haunt  me,,,lol thanks for the advise to ya all though,,,i appreciate it

louthepou

It may just be that the carb float was put back upside down. I did this once, and I realized the side was rubbing before I closed the carb.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

it's not a big deal if you do it with the carbs in, only will take you 15 min to do:

Remove:
tank, airbox, plastic baffle in front of the carb & the choke rod off the carbs.
pull the inlet hoses off the carbs (fron the fuel pump)

remove the 6 screws from the top of the carb, & lift the carb top off. since it was just rebuilt, the gasket should not stick.

clean it out.
while your in there, lower the float level 2 to 3mm.  the overflow tube in the carbs was installed low on several of them.

reassemble, prime & away you go!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

George R. Young

Here's another quick try before disassembing things. It sometimes works if there's some bit of debris stuck in the float valve, keeping it open.

Disconnect and block the vacuum feed to the petcock, and put it in the run position.

Run the engine 'til it runs out of gas or drain the float bowl.

When you reconnect the vacuum line and start the engine, the inflow of gas to the float bowl may dislodge the junk.

MotorPlow

Is your bike draining fuel with the bike running or not running. If it is draining fuel while the bike is not running, it may be a leaky petcock and not the float needle.? If it is draining fuel with the bike running and the fuel is draining out the overflow hoses, then it is most likely a stuck float needle.? Do you have a fuel filter on the bike?

Here is how I fixed mine: http://motorplow.blogspot.com/2005/04/thank-you-mr-murphy.html

Lucky

Quote from: MotorPlow on August 25, 2005, 02:24:41 PM
If it is draining fuel while the bike is not running, it may be a leaky petcock and not the float needle.

Untrue.. if the bike is not running & petcock leaks, to get fuel out the overflow the float(s) MUST leak..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

Prior to tearing the carb apart. The easiest sure fire thing to do  is...if you have some compressed air. Drain the carb. Remove the fuel line then Blast the air through the fuel entrance to the carb. Fill and drain once more.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

fiddlesticks

YarHave any luck yet? Keep us posted.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

MotorPlow

Quote from: Lucky on August 25, 2005, 07:34:08 PM
Quote from: MotorPlow on August 25, 2005, 02:24:41 PM
If it is draining fuel while the bike is not running, it may be a leaky petcock and not the float needle.

Untrue.. if the bike is not running & petcock leaks, to get fuel out the overflow the float(s) MUST leak..

--Lucky

Good point lucky thanx.

squid

Well I got it finally lol....lucky where were ya the other night lol,,,,I took the carbs right off and took em to work,,,didnt find anything wrong but cleaned the needle and seat anyways and lowered the float very slightly,,,and everything is mint,,,just struck me as weired the way it happened,,,put 500kms on it in 2 days, pull into the lot and for sure something stuck,,i do have a filter on it and added another just after i got it back,  but whatever the case, im a happy camper now,,runs like a clock and back putting miles on her,,, ;D thanks to all for the quick responses and advice with quick fix ideas! it is appreciated