News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

k&l valve shim tool $53.00 from vendor?

Started by STRATUS749, August 25, 2005, 04:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRATUS749

I lost my Tool :( called my local K&L supplier and he could order for $53.00 + tax. Seen $28.00 from others here. Also tried Yamaha part# YM-28899, they
said # no good? Any other suppliers or links for this tool?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? thanks
2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

kiawrench

k&l is maybe the last producer of the tool, but you have another option, just have two made at your friendly local machine shop.

not sure, but somewhere the specs are posted, just copy the page, print it out, take down to be made.  I had 4 made, i use one ,have one in storage, just in case and sold two to other riders that needed the same tool, by ordering more than one, they do make them up cheaper-- but i will say, a presentation bottle of jack daniels makes it real cheap,,,, i think i paid 40.00 for 4  when i lived in another town.(thanks to fine bourbon and a holiday spirit )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

Quote from: kiawrench on August 25, 2005, 08:40:00 PM
not sure, but somewhere the specs are posted, just copy the page, print it out, take down to be made. I

It's on my "art" page
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

STRATUS749

2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

Superfly

If you are ever in the San Fernando Valley, go to the Local Yamaha dealer there, they can order them for $36.00 (total)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

STRATUS749

Thanks superfly, is ym-28899 the correct part#? I just received my stator from ricks ;D. all you awsome visionary's have said to relocated my rectifier to passanger footpeg area and hard wire it. any pictures showing this? any recomendations?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? thanks!
2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

Superfly

I hung mine from the upper frame rail (no harness extension), but others use the left rear footpeg mount.

STRATUS749

2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

Superfly

The side rail attaches with a screw, I took a extra horn mount (the 3 pieces) bent a 90 degree angle in the top of it, and added 2 locknuts to the screw that holds on the side rail, and sandwitched the horn mount in between the 2 locknuts.

STRATUS749

No wire extentions sounds like the way to go. Thanks superfly!
2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

jasonm.

you mean the screw to mount your helmet lock? That seems the way to go.   Hope you did not use a sheet metal screw into the frame?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Coil Coyle

My K&L cost $26.58 at the local independant dirt bike shop here in
Santa Rosa, Ca. 3 months ago.
Go to another shop in your neighborhood and see what a prepaid order for the K&L tool will cost you. Wear dirty clothes and a grimmy ballcap...have the number handy, make it easy for them to order it... ;D

You must have done something wrong at the last shop 8)

Good Luck,

coil

Superfly

I actually used the front screw that holds on the underseat side rail.  Hung it right from there.  Then unwrap part of the wire harness that is under the seat (to get the longest amount of wire) and hard wire where the R/R connects into the wiring harness.  I have used them damn little wire extensions before, but I liked this way better.