Dead Tach

Started by Jeepster51, August 20, 2003, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepster51

My Tach on my newly purchased 1982 Yamaha Vision doesn't work at all. Any one have any ideas how this might be repaired?

Bryan

sgrprincees

Mine didn't work either, I got an instrument cluster off ebay and put it on and it worked.  

QBS

The tach gets its signal from one of the spark coil connectors.  Suggest that you clean all those connections really clean and then very lingtly grease them.  They are quite prone to corrosion.  This procedure will also work to eleminate erradict ignition cut out, a common (and maddening) problem.  Also get a Haynes manual.  It really helps with electrical issues.  Cheers.

Walt_M.

A very long time ago, when my bike was less that 2 yrs old, the tach on it quit. Being a curious type, I looked inside and found one on the coils in the tach was broken. The wire was tiny, hairlike, actually finer than that. I was able to solder it back together and it has been working ever since. If I remember correctly, there are 2 of these windings on the pointer shaft. I am probably not steady enough to solder it today but I would probably look there if mine quit again.
Whale oil beef hooked!

sdinino

If you get as far as tearing into the cluster and Walts suggestion isn't the problem, you may have a bad tach board. I have an extra if you need it. Email me if you're interested.
-- Steve D

Jeepster51

I think I do have dead tach board. I have tested all four wires and they have good continuity. I have AC voltage on the tach (orange wire that comes from the front coil).

Do you still have the tach board?

Thanks,
Bryan

Glyn

Hi all

All my tach land speedo ights are out, but the tach works fine. Any thoughts on where my problem could be?

Lucky

sounds like you blew a fuse...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black