Valve shim engine interchangibilty

Started by STRATUS749, September 01, 2005, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRATUS749

My memory is slowing coming back on how to re-do the vision engines. Lost my shim tool, local k & l supplier wants too much$, local machine shop,too long to make.Then I remembered my first vavle job. Tools needed: torque wrench, white finger nail polish, cam lube, vice grips to hold the cam chain from falling into engine. Worked perfect. $@#@$# the tool. Took shims off parts bike and all is good except I need 2 .220 shims to finish job. Working with a local m/c junk yard. he wants to know what other yami engines take the same shims. So i come to you experts for the answer.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks
2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

Lucky

you'll have to call or visit the dealer.  i know their common shims, but i don't know what bikes.

Q: i'm guessing the white polish is to mark the cam components, but did you forget to list a feeler guage, or do you have some other trick?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

STRATUS749

Don't miss a thing do ya doc? Have I mentioned I have 10/10 vision?
A freind of mine whom works at yamaha no longer carries shims. He has made a couple calls for me and no luck yet.This salvage yard nearby me is fairly big. he gave me 2 .230 shims however The diameter of 1 was to big. he has a bunch of yami engines except 550
visions (go figure) He is willing to remove the cams but wanted to know which will have the same type shims. I really want to button the engine up over the weekend and put the duc away.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?thanks
2 1982 YAMAHA VISIONS
2005 DUCATI 749 SBK

bmw100

The info you need is:any Seca/Maxim motor(400-1100 DOHC2-V motor)
                                       XS750/850 tripples
                                       XS-1100
                                       Z-1/KZ1000/1100(up to the"J"motor)

These are 29mm shims,sizies 190 to 300. because you are in the "220"range
your nearing the end of adj. I would pull the heads,very correctly trim .020"-.030" off the tips of the valves,this will put you in the 270-280 range. 8)
   (if you do a valve job you will need to trim more!)
   I would set my valves on the loose side of range & use GOOD oil and live with
the "ticking" . The aledged ticking should happen only @idle till oil pressure steps out(rpm's build) & sync your carbs correctly(EGA sniffer helps alot @ idle)

Thank You
                                             Frenchthewrench

QBS

French: Very good to hear from you.  Believe it or not, I've really missed knowing that you were around to provide excellent data and a bit of spice to our dialogs.  God bless you.  Cheers.