Main Menu

REV limiter or...?

Started by tremalzo, August 27, 2005, 01:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tremalzo

My last 4-6 rides on the xz all went? by the same routine. First 300 m's to the main road, next 3-4 km's at a speed of 80 km/h. Than I have to reduce speed to 50 km/h. After a few 100 m's at this speed the tach dies and the V2 becomes a V1 for 1 - 3 km's. Than everything is normal again. I can continue my ride (usualy 80-120 km's) without any problem.

I already disconnected the yellow black REV limiter cable at the tach.? What should I check next? Coils and sparks don't make sense, the bike just runs fine.

Thanks,
Frans

Walt_M.

Try disconnecting the rev limiter at the TCI module. It could be grounding out on the tach end (even though you disconnected it) and killing the front cylinder.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

try disconnecting the safety circuit wire at the TCI connector, it's the black wire with the white stripe.

remove the wire & pin from the connector instead of cutting it, then you can reconnect it to diag the problem--be aware that some safety features will be disabled.

A bad side stand switch is common.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Tremalzo,
When mine was losing one cylinder and the tach, it was always cool weather and I would be on the way to work. The same type of symptoms you have, it would die briefly then come back.
I butt spliced the Ignition pickup wires and removed the connectors. While doing this I found the cloth wire insulation to the pickups was frayed by the case entry. Shrink tubed them and the cylinder/tach problem was gone.
Still have the rev limiter.

And...Lucky is correct, a butt splice,even filled with vaseline, is not as good as a soldered joint. ::)

Search "one cylinder" on all boards, you will learn a lot

;)
coil

tremalzo

Thanks guys.

Walt, to prevent the wire touching the tach I put some tape around it as I disconnected it. So grounding out shouldn?t be the problem.?

Lucky, I will disconnect the black and white wire as suggested. The xz doesn?t have a side stand switch. It already was removed when I bought it. I didn?t notice until last winter when I took the bike apart for restoration. I can?t remember if there was a wire cut, but I will check.

Last week I took both the cranckcase covers of my spare engine (practice some basis motorcycle technique, the best way to learn is just do it). This gave me a chance to give the ignition pickup wires a close look. I see what you mean Coil. The wires look a bit fragile down there.

Will Keep you informed

Frans

tremalzo

In the past days I checked the points suggested. All of the seem to be right. Only the side stand relay shows higher resistance than the specs in the manual. The spare relay from the parts bike shows the same resistance. So does the relay in the parts box that came with the bike. It made no sense to replace it. In the end there only was one thing left to try. I changed the TCI for a spare one.

This afternoon I took the bike for a ride. It ran fine, no problem at all. As I didn't change anything else the TCI seems to be the cause of the problem. A few more test rides and we will know for sure.

The bike seems to run 'different' after I changed the TCI. Is this possible or am I imagining things that can't be?

Frans