News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Me thinks I'm loosing Compression

Started by Sable, September 03, 2005, 10:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

Over the last couple of days, I have spent a lot of time working on the Vision. My fiancee and I just moved into our new house and I now have a garage so I don't have to work on it in a dirt driveway? ;D
I rebuilt the starter with a new seal, brushes and o-rings and everything tested fine. Cleaned out the carbs (pulled them off and sprayed them down with carb cleaner). Finally installed the '83 rear shock (that I've had for a year or so and never got around to), re-painted my tank (bike fell over in the winter and gas trickled out of the cap and ruined the whole right side). By the way, any ideas for a replacement spring for the side stand?
I finally got everything re-assembled and the ole girl started right up.... then died. When I tried to re-start her, I can hear what seems to be like air escaping from the front cylinder near the exhaust pipes. I have never messed around with an exhaust system before, is there like a metal gasket in there? Or is it a copper one?
As always, any and all input is appreciated? :-\

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

MotorPlow

I might have an extra spring for a side stand....
Make me an offer.

Get yourself a compression tester.  I think I paid $35.00 for mine.  I checked the compression on this bike before I bought it.

Chris F.

squid

just a thought for a spring, rear brake spring from a car, if you have a regular shop that you take your car to, i am sure they have tons of them kicking around,,,i do lol,,,and if i remember correctly, the gaskets on the pipes to the head are steel o rings,,,been quite awhile since i had the exhaust off

Lucky

sble, don't be surpised if the compression is on the lower side of normal, the bikes old..& it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

the exhausts gaskets are a copper-graphite composite i believe
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black