News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

leaking gas

Started by steve, September 03, 2005, 11:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

Hi, I'm new to forums and new to motorcycling (well it's been 20 years anyway) and new to visions.  I just bought a 82 xz550rj and after having lots of work done by a shop I rode it joyously for about 500 miles.  All of a sudden it's leaking tons of gas out the drain tube on the front carb.  What do I look for?  Thanks for your help.  I've already gotten to know a lot about this bike due to your info here.
Steve in Lower Lake :-\

Lucky

your leaking fuel because those drain tubes are connected to overflow tubes rising from the floor of the bottom of the carbs. if the fuel goes above the tops of these tubes, excess fuel flows into the tubes & out the drains.

this means that one or both float inlet needles are leaking, the most common cause is a chunk of crap stuck in the needle. 

pull the hose that connects the front drain to the rear & determine which carb is leaking.
put a can under the drain & open ithe drain screw.
pull the "T" hose off that connects the carbs to the fuel pump & Blast thru the inlet with carb cleaner with the straw tube attached. use a rag to seal the inlet & tube so the carb cleaner doesn't spray back into your eyes.

if it leaks when the bike is off, you have both a leaking petcock & inlet needle. if it only leaks when the bike is running, then it's just an inlet needle.

you MUST install a fuel filter between the petcock & fuel pump if there isn't one already.  check the tank for rust & crud, drain it, clean it out & seal it with POR-15 if needed.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

btw, DO NOT plug those drain hoses, you'll end up filling your crankcase with fuel!!  also, you'll notice there is no "off" position on the petcock, it should be left on "ON when the bike is off, never "Prime".
--Lucky

steve

Many, many thanks you guys for helping me!  I will do as you said and I will have a fuel filter on it tomorrow!  What exactly do I get for a fuel filter-anything that fits in there with an opening on each end or do I need a specific filter?  Pardon my ignorance but I'm learning and I'm hanging in there!  My commute is 50 miles each way over two mountain passes so I'm getting my training in fast. :D

squid

what is it with the 500 mile/km fuel leak,,,my v did that last week, leaked fuel from the rear carb, on exactly 500km >:( but the fix for me was easy,,,leaked while running only, was like nigara falls, took the top off, lightly blew compressed air through the fuel inlet made sure the needle and seat was working, and its been mint ever since, ;D

Lucky

Steve,
I use the plastic cone shaped filter with the bronze element.
A tip: often a few raps on the side of the carb bowl with the handle of a screwdriver will be enough to clear out whatevers clogging it & allow the needle to seat.

Squid:
It's a 22+ year old bike, it's going to take some tapping, cursing & wrenching occasionally to keep it happy...

louthepou

And duct tape  ;D

Personnaly, part of my joy of riding my Vision comes from the fact that, after working on it, I deserve every mile I ride.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

squid

lucky.....
just a heads up on those plastic cone style filters,,,tonite before i was leaving to come home i had another fuel leak,,,turns out that the plastic filters with the bronze element, split at the seam,,so i am going to get one from the proformance shop on tuesday,,,the glass style with the bronze,,but you can clan them out,,,and they are only 5 buck cdn,, and yeah the old girl is 23 years old,,and i expect to have quirks with her lol,,,,but 500k on the dot,,,for 2 people,,,what are the chances??? lmao

steve

Thanks all you guys and especially Lucky.  The advice was right on and the vision is back to running again.  I also replaced the fuel line tubing that was cracking on the ends and I replaced a short vacuum line that split.  They looked good but once in my hands a good flex revealed the defects. Now on to shopping for tires... :D

steve

oh, I meant to also say that mine failed at 500 miles, not 500k.  My commute is almost exactly 50 miles each way so its easy to keep track.  Its also easy to rack up the miles and I look so forward to commuting again!

squid

miles, kilometers,,,just the number 500 got me lol

Jimmy C.

I have the same problem....except I have to fix the "oil-filled starter" once again, in order to diagnose the fix for the leaking carbs. 
Sometimes it's like working on a japanese front-wheel-drive car. gotta remove this to get at that, slide that over to get at something else...

if you get rough with the bike ( e.g. hitting bumps at speed) it might awaken any little tank-rust gremlins in hiding that could get into your fuel.

I honestly don't trust the bike for long trips anymore.

Lucky

Yeah, Squid, those filters will only last a year or so, but that's fine with me, it ensures i allways have a clean filter in the bike.

squid

thanks for the heads up,,,if i cant get a glass filter i will be getting a spare and keeping it handy,,,nothing makes a trip better than piece of mind,,rode home with no filter and all i could think about was dirty dirty carbs  :o,

cdntinpusher

CTP
-- ROV? Wannabe

devotee

Thanks to all of those who posted on this thread in 2005. I did not notice the leak until today. It stops shortly after the motor is turned off, and by pulling the cross connect drain tube I have it narrowed down to the forward carb float needle valve.
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

Rikugun

Yup, fairly common problem with older gas tanks with some rust. It stops after the engine is not running because the petcock is "switched" by engine vacuum - once the engine stops the vacuum actuated switch is turned of via a spring. You can turn the petcock to "PRI" which will allow the fuel to flow with the engine not running. Then use Lucky's suggestion and tap gently on the offending carb while fuel is flowing through the inlet valve needle and seat. Tightening the drain screw should stop the flow once the obstruction is cleared.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

devotee

Tank off. Drained carb. With drain open, sprayed Mass Air Sensor cleaner (gentle) into the inlet line and let it drain. Then closed the drain and sprayed till it overflowed and let it sit 10 - 15 min., drain and repeat.

Cured!! And with out much disassembly. Thanks for that tip!

The tank is POR'd and has inline filter, but I haven't ridden this machine for a couple of years. (Don't ask)

For the record, this is an 83 with fairing and in good shape for its 32 years. Hell, I'm nearly twice as old.
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

Rikugun

Good deal - glad you got it worked out.   :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan