debate: replace or reuse wheel bearing seals?

Started by Lucky, September 05, 2005, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I've heard comments on both sides to either NEVER reuse the wheel bearing seals, or that reuse is fine.? when i did them on the 82 wheels i originally had, i replaced them because i replaced the bearings too.

I have to do my fork seals (waiting on parts) & thought i'd repack mine while i was at it...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bmw100

Lucky,if your carefull you can reuse the outer seals. The bearings which are either open,sheilded or sealed(sheilded&sealed sometimes will have(1) side protected other side open) rule#1 when you knock that bearing out it is junk!
because you have dimpeled the inner/outer race & ball. So the best bet is to
replace said bearing with a double sealed bearing(these have a"C-3" rating which means close tolerance) so in knowing that go down to your fav.bearing
house replace them all!(the wheel bearings are all standard #'s easily found)
The only bearings that can be serviced are older BMW's & H.D. because they are
tapered roller bearings. So in closing if the wheels roll smoothly your bearings are good if not you'll know what to do at that point!  8)

thanks
                                                frenchthewrench ;D

louthepou

I've always kept these areas cleaned, greased, and only had to change a bike wheel bearing once in my on-road riding life (which spans 18 years now), and never had to change a seal. So I'm with bmw100 on this one.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

MotorPlow

I just ordered new wheel bearings and dust shields from www.bikebandit.com - Wheel bearings were $11.00 each and the dust covers were $3 or $4 each. Shipping was $6.

Total price for 2 bearings and 2 dust covers and shipping was right at $40 for the whole job.

Chris F.