Rusted Mufflers

Started by comatt, September 09, 2005, 01:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comatt

I just got a Vision last weekend.  I've been replacing parts and getting it ready to ride.  The bike is is OK shape for such an old bike but I seem to have some large cracks and gaps in the muffle crome shell.  I am looking ideas on how to fix them.  I plan on painting them black so I don't really care about the crome.  I saw these on the JC Whitney site,

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10111/s-10101/p-100000144050/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000144050/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000144050

I've thought about cutting down the pipes and adding these or something similar. 
Does anyone know if they will work, or is there an easier temporary fix until next spring. 
Can I stuff some steel wool in the cracks and use some sort of high temp epoxy? 
Thanks

Lucky

you can cut the mufflers off after the weld, & weld on new cans, it's been done before, but it won't be pretty.? Also, the stock setup is probably rusted in the collector as well, there is a lot of baffling in there, etc.?

for what your going to spend on cans, welding, & painting, you'd be better off getting yourself a set of Mac pipes. they run $150ish i believe. they are 4 into 2 black ceramic coated pipes, both on the right, with repackable baffles, i Love the sound of mine & no jetting is required.? you may have to wait for a production run, but for the price, their worth it.? you might catch a used set on Ebay for less $$$

check out louis's bike for a pic: http://www.ridersofvision.net/Gallery/VisionLou01.jpg

you can pack some epoxy in there for a temporrary fix if you have to wait.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

comatt

I want to get a set of the MAC's, I think they look great, but I may have to wait until the new year.  My girlfriend is already ticked that I bought a motocycle instead of a couch for a room that we never use!  I tell her I'll be saving money on gas though.

Is there any type of epoxy you recommend?  I was think of using some muffle putty I have from my old car.  Then sanding it down and painting the pipes with high temp paint.

Riche

Store the bike in that room and put a throw pillow on it.? ;D

(put something on the floor incase of leaks)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: comatt on September 09, 2005, 10:08:01 AM
I want to get a set of the MAC's, I think they look great, but I may have to wait until the new year.? My girlfriend is already ticked that I bought a motocycle instead of a couch for a room that we never use!? I tell her I'll be saving money on gas though.

Is there any type of epoxy you recommend?? I was think of using some muffle putty I have from my old car.? Then sanding it down and painting the pipes with high temp paint.

Yeah, I have the same problem.  Why do I need a new couch when I have a perfectly good old one and a new bike to work on.
I used the "it saves on gas thing".  Since it now costs as much to fill the bike up as it USED to cost to fill my car up, that argument is somewhat doable.   :D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

louthepou

Since we're on the subject, I just received Paul's MAC exhaust I won on Ebay (proof that it's possible), so an old and bruised spare set I have will donate their baffles for a test.

My intention is to use the baffles (the straight types, once identified by MAC as "For off road use only") and recreate the kind that was made for road use. The plan is simple; squeeze, or colapse, the baffle in the middle, on one side; cut it in two; weld them with about 3/4 of an inch of overlap, therefore creating a "chicane" for quieter operation.

I'm not sure my explanation is clear, but anyway, I'll let you know how it is going as this project evolves over the next few weeks...

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

zore

Anyone have a url where I can order a MAC exhaust?  I'll be putting my non rusted stockers on ebay.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

zore

Never mind... I found it.  But if anyone has a good mac exhaust and woudl like to trade for good condition stocker, let me know.  One fo the mufflers has a dinger in it but other wise in great shape.  I'll take pics of anyone is interested.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900