Carb hose route and flap baffle and stuff

Started by gt380, September 10, 2005, 09:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt380

Got an 82 with no pumper screw adjuster.

Took it apart a year or so ago because of hesitation when warm and fear of stalling at lights in heavy traffic (looks like you all should know that feeling after going through these tops Vision sites!!!)

Anyway, I have cleaned the carbs and figured it all except for the hoses that come off the front carb.

1. There is one at the front which comes off on an angle to the right.
2. There is a plastic one at the back/left of the front carb towards the back carb.

Problem 2

The baffle to the flap actuator is busted (and don't seem to be able to locate it at the moment), so do I need it or can I make one out of, say, a plastic coke bottle lid and some 4mm retic pipe nipples (or brass tube).

And confirm for me that the hose for this is the front right carb facing directly right?

Problem 3

I am not too sure of the config of the hoses for the fuel pume. Any hints?

I have to comend the crazy/wierd individuals who have set this site up for a bike with so much "caracter". Otherwise this bike may be at the tip!!!

Garth

Lucky

fitting on the front carb pointing directly to the right goes to the airbox/flapper
fitting at the front of the carb at an angle gors the the little round plastic disk filter on the right side of the ft carb.

i'm not sure what you mean by the "baffle" on the flapper, can you take a pic? i'll have to look at the extra one i have..

there are arrows on the fuel pump for "in" &  "Out". you may have to remove the 2 nuts holding the pump to the brace to see them. the big fitting at the bottom of the pump goes to the ft intake boot, the 82 pump also has a triangular piece cast into it with a hose. the triangular piece is a fuel regulator, the small hose goes to the black plastic fitting on the top of the ft carb.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

gt380

Your quick...

I don't get what you mean for the front angled connection? where does this go?

And the plastic connection at the back of the front carb (on top)?

The baffle (as I termed it) is part number 2,3 and 4 on the first page of the airbox update from your xz550.com site. It was on the line to the airbox flap.

Bare with me here and I will spell out what I am partly sure of...

1. There are two connections on the front carb manifold (to the engine), one goes to the fuel pump, and the other?

2. The connection at the front of the front carb on an angle to the right

3. The plastic connection at the back left of the front carb.

I have just got back from racing motocross (in Oz), but am more excited about getting on the XZ!!! Thanks heaps for the help!

Lucky

Quote from: gt380 on September 10, 2005, 09:37:26 AM
Got an 82 with no pumper screw adjuster. Pumper screw??

1. There is one at the front which comes off on an angle to the right. This goes tho the filter (not Baffle) that is (should be) located on the right front of the carb. if your carb doesn't have it (or the angled fitting built into the carb) then you don't have the carb update.  the filter itself doesn't have a second fitting on it. it takes air in from the bottom (black part) ant this feeds air for the front main jet.

2. There is a plastic one at the back/left of the front carb towards the back carb. if you mean a small black plastic fitting on the top, back of the front carb, then this tiny line goes to the regulator on the fuel pump

Problem 2

The baffle to the flap actuator is busted (and don't seem to be able to locate it at the moment), so do I need it or can I make one out of, say, a plastic coke bottle lid and some 4mm retic pipe nipples (or brass tube). it's not a baffle, it's an air filter & yes you need it.  it filters air to the main jet on the ft carb, no you can't make on, but i probably have a spare.

And confirm for me that the hose for this is the front right carb facing directly right? Nope, this fitting goes to the flapper in the airbox.

I don't get what you mean for the front angled connection? where does this go?to the above mentioned filter

And the plastic connection at the back of the front carb (on top)? to the regulator on the fuel pump

The baffle (as I termed it) is part number 2,3 and 4 on the first page of the airbox update from your xz550.com site. It was on the line to the airbox flap.it only looks like it's on the line, but it's not, it only connects to the carb as stated.

Bare with me here and I will spell out what I am partly sure of...

1. There are two connections on the front carb manifold (to the engine), one goes to the fuel pump, and the other? goes to the petcock

2. The connection at the front of the front carb on an angle to the right To the filter

3. The plastic connection at the back left of the front carb. to the regulator on the fuel pump

I have so much crap on mu computer & my site that i can't find a pic of the carbs, lol it's like trying to find a set of keys on a messy desk.

BTW, when i say "filter" i mean it's a little round filter (as shown in the pic on my site) as opposed to the main air filter.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

gt380

Lucky... your a legend!!!

Another XZ on the road again.

I love the new mag! And the pic of the carb in the first tech article is the one I could have done with at the time.

Ride on!