Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

?pistion/ring kits?

Started by action, September 11, 2005, 03:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

action

G'day all V'Riders
new here,,,,,,,
I have the XZ550R model and am trying to get her back on the road again, so I have been the net looking for o/s piston kit for the last few hours,and have come up with zip, my local yamaha shop can get all bar the piston and rings. Tho i have found some dam good sites like this one!!

I did the hole search thing here and was wondering how the pistons kits from Wiseco and how all that ended up???

and i know this maybe a dum question, dose any one know if there are any other yamaha bikes that the pistons even come close to fit our bikes????? I cant be the only one that has thought that? (can I :-\)

one last thing, did i really see a 750cc model in racing trim on the board somewhere in my search or was my tired eyes playing tricks on me?

Lucky

Check with Humber. he's in Poland, & was on this board for a long time 'till he sold his XZ last year. If I remember correctly he reringed his bike with car rings (I want to say Opal, but I could be way off) his email is (was?) humberxz@hotmail.com

Yup you saw a 750 Vision. a custom flat tracker.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

action

Thanks Lucky
Shame to hear at he sold his ride tho but I'll drop him a line and see if he still has the part No. for the rings.
We did have Opal motors in aus for some time in the Holden Toranas 4cyls. They were a disliked motor as the cab'y was always playing up,(and being a 4cyl in a land of V8)

Is there a spec sheet for the 750 some where? Be that if i cant find oem pistons and rings (std or o/s),? I mite as well build her up to the 750 spec's. I'm guessing that its been fully bored out, maybe a storker crank on it, somthing i know would be rare as. I'm wondering about the oil system, what has been done with that. have they up'd the psi of the oil system to keep up with the consten high revs.?

Blake

As for the 750 racer...

you have to understand, it's just that.  A team's racer.  Unfortunately because they're in the running for top placement (and doing a damn good job at it), they can't tell you details (trust me, i tried..i'm the lucky one that got to sit on the bike after a race ;D).  But as far as i can tell you, it will cost a LOT of $$$$.  forged pistons, forged rods (at least), new custom crankshaft....etc.   not something usually obtainable by us "common men."  In the end, it'd actually be a lot cheaper to buy a new liter-bike engine and use that as a base.

but as i said... as for specifics, you'll be lucky to get the HP numbers out of them (we had a guess the hp game a few months back..somewhere between stock and a v-8 was the answer if i remember correctly).

But stick around long enough and we usually come up with good ideas to make the bike a little better piece by piece.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

the bike is Babe DeMays' custom built Memphis Shades AMA Grand National dirt tracker. J.R. Schanabel is the rider. details of the motor are not given as they are in competition. ?check the posts from Tdub, he's the builder

action

Thanks guys
I thougth that would be the case about the spe's but theres no harm in asking.
Rebuilding the XZ down here in Aus is not a cheap option to start with, as most of the parts are in $us. And 95% of the parts are all imported. The bike them self are very cheap, so much so that you can get a hole bike (somker) for $200 au.

Lucky, I sent Humber an email but just got a Delivery Status Notification (Failure), so it thats a no go for me there too,
but I'll research the stie with his name and see what I come up with.

Lucky

I see him pop up on IM occasionally, so i'll try to catch him next time.

--Lucky

silicon_toad2000

the good ol starfire 4, rumour was it was a 186 with 2 cylinders cut off the end.
where in oz do you hail from action, im in adelaide and redxzinoz that's here every now and then is from WA and ozian whio's here occasionally is from roxby downs in sa.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

action

yer your about right on the 186, i'v heard they make good boat anchor's,LOL I'm right into my LX torana's as i got two of them

I'm in Canberra, the land white coller pen pusher's. and difinately not one of them.

Lucky,
I did find the search bit on the rings,,,,,,,,, humber said that they were original opel corsa rings 1.4 diesel but he did say "I think"  so i still would like some confirmation on this tho. if you do catch up with him and chat, and ask for me that would be great thanks

silicon_toad2000

lol, yeah but you gotta take the rods out first, I've read a lot of holden v8's are built with starfire 4 rods, still don't know why.
I've worked on a 5litre in an lx, no thanks, even a bee would get its dick stuck between the chassis rails and the exhaust. (don't know why a bee would have its dick there,  but if it did it would get stuck).
Must be nice on a bike around those cloverleafs.

action

there a stronger rod belive it or not, and there fit really well. there a good rod for turbo and S/C apps. LOL
yer it was good on the roundabouts up here when the bike was going. speialy when we had the GMC400 going, fun track to run, hehe

"honest sir you must have seen see other xz that come past you at mak 3"

where do you get your parts form down there mate? we only have Joes here and he can be very $$$ if he in a bad mood.

and more on the ring hunt,,,,,, partsfish.com do say they have PISTON RINGSET STD for $35.99us.
but no o/s stuff. I'm looking at having to rebore her anyways, so i'm starting to think about seeing what i can find to puch the girl right out (bore wise)  :D

Any idea's anyone? or part numbers?

silicon_toad2000

all my parts for the v i have bought from ebay, yamaha and i got a carb top mailed to me from lucky when i snapped one of the float posts.
have you tried repco for the rings.
I don't have the specs for the rings, but you might be able to find something the same,
80m bore, the manual has the specs for the ring to groove clearance  but not the size of the ring grooves, anyone know?
by the manual the rings are flat backed not stepped.
start looking for something with an 80mm bore and hopefully in the mean time someone can post the ring groove size so you can get the right pistons.
the manual says that the second ring is actually thicker than the top ring.
book doesnt seem to have the wrist pin size either, maybe someone could provide that and you could get cuastom pistons made that use a common ring size, sounds a bit much effort to go to but if you cant get the rings...

Rick G

I "rebuilt mine with  a set of cylinders ,pistons and rings bought on eBay. They were in nice condition and  are working fine.  Another option is to collect  derilict xz550s, usually one cylinder is rusted because the  intake valves on that cylinder were open.  I've scrapped out  6 1/2 of them  and  come up with a few  usable pistons  and rings.  Not enough people were willing to invest in  rings and pistons  so the Wisco deal never went through.  Humber , actually found  new standard rings,  available in Europe, through Yamahas Dutch warehouse.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

action

thanks guys for all that,
yer silicon_toad2000 i have thought about seeing about how much a set of custom sugs and rings would cost, but i would rather try and find a set before going that far, if i go that far i mite as well go the hole hog and punch her out to as far as the sleve will let me. and get custom rods at the same time. LOL maybe stick on a TO2 turbo!!! have thought up a few ways for the plumbing for it hehehehehehe

I mite have to do what Rick_G has done with his bike, that is if i can get away with a deglaze and not a full rebore. tho i have found a set of STD rings (for one cylinder but) here in OZ.

Just send Humber to see what he thinks, let you know when i do, 

Lead_Deficiency

what about one of the Ventures or Vmax years

silicon_toad2000

have you checked with repco or motor traders yet? what did they say?