News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Why

Started by MrMe, September 13, 2005, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMe

Why is there a lock position on the ignition plate ?
I cant for the life of me figure this out. My trees seem to not have a "locking position" I assume that is what the lock is for as it was on all my other bikes ?
Just wonderong.....
Brian

h2olawyer

If it is functioning properly, the lock position locks the handlebars in the far left position.  Minor theft deterrent.  I normally don't use it - if its stolen & later recovered, its just one less thing to repair.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

the bars have to be all the way over to the left for the lock to work. You also have to push the key "In" to the switch, let it pop back up & THEN turn it to lock.  I think it works to the right too. it's a little harder to steal a bike that'll only go in circles.

One Warning:? there is another position past 'Lock'? that turns on the tail light.? It aparently is there to make sure that the person stealing the bike has a dead battery as well & will mutter something about those reviews being right..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

I used to comute to a wind farm in the Tehachapi area.
I could leave Dad's Vision parked in the snow beside the dirt road to the job site.
;)
The Harley guys had to strap their bikes to the crummy and haul it in so they wouldn't get stolen.
;D
coil

MotorPlow

Just a note, when I use my "Lock" position, I have to push the bars all the way to the Left and then back then off about a half inch.  Then and only then will the ignition switch allow me to push in and then out to rotate the key to the "Lock" position.

Jimmy C.

Yeah, when I read the first post, I thought about the time I "locked" it and came outside to a dead battery.

I thought it was a screwy electrical system fault (owned a 1980 BMW 3-series. paranoia sets in quick.)

If the taillight thing is normal, does anybody know why?

h2olawyer

Some places require a light on a vehicle parked next to a road or street.  The "P" position is reached after the "Lock" position on the key switch.  The various switch positions were lettered in white - many have worn off by now.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Jimmy C.

Must be a European thing.
But a push start usually gets the bike going again, so it's really not a bad thing.
Maybe some flashing LEDs would be a better idea.