Production numbers

Started by zore, September 13, 2005, 08:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

Anyone know how many XZ's were manfuctured and how many made it to the us in 82 and 83?  Also curious on the number of users on this board. 

I've been riding a while and when my brother in law asked me to take his xz off his hands, I was rather ho hum about it.   Mid 80's motorcycle with a less than steller reputation.  But since getting it and seeing how clean it was and how low the mileage was, I'm rather excited about the whole project.  I heard the audio clip with the 550 with mac exhaust and I know that's what I will be doing next.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

Yamaha never released the production numbers, but i will tell you that they were built 'till 86 in Europe & Asia. there was an exaustive discussion on the lowest & highest Vin numbers a while back, hit the 'search' button at the top of the page.
82's are more abundant & 83's are very rare. it's like they stoped production midyear...

Glad you enjoyed my clip. i'm going to add an audio/video clip with the cam mounted by the water pump one day..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

Yes, I definetly want to get a mac exhaust.  As that's what the bike should sound like to me.  Now it sounds kind of bottled up like an SL70.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

squid

i am not sure how true this fact is but i will spill it anyway,,,the original ownmer of my vision, bought it brand new from the dealer in 82, from her cousin who still works at yamaha,,when i was talking to her, one day while getting parts, she told me how many were made for canada,
1100 units were made for canadian sale and if i remember correctly about 2500 for the us market but as i said i dont know how accurate that is ???

Lucky

Do you think you could go back & talk to her & get verification of that? it'd be really valuable info, especially if you can get it on paper!

--Lucky

just thinking... if Yamaha doesn't want to give out production numbers, perhaps the could ntell us simply how many dealers there were in 82-83 in the Americas, Europe & Asia. then we could gesitmate the alocation for each dealer, thereby giving us rough production numbers.

does that sound reasonable..?

--L

silicon_toad2000

don't forget australia, africa there was someone on here from africa a while ago
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lucky

Yup, your right, i'm sorry, i forgot...but really, you guys only got eight...
: >