News:

Main Menu

82 carb upgrade

Started by comatt, September 20, 2005, 03:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comatt

Well I've posted a couple of questions so far and everyone has been great with answers.  I'm the proud owner of a 1982 Vision, I've been tying to get it running good, but have some problems. 
Recently I got an upgraded carb and airbox from Ebay, I thought I would just keep it for parts, but I'm thinking of replacing the original carb with the upgraded one.  Does anyone know if there are other parts I need for the upgrade besides basically the top of the carbs and the top of the airbox with the flapper? 
I'm thinking of using my old carb bottoms and the old airbox bottom, they seemed to look the same to me.  Is this possible? 
Should I even bother with this or just keep the old original cabs?

Thanks, Matt

h2olawyer

Matt -

The upgrade kit from Yamaha came with just the carb top, airbox top, new air cleaner element & the small round grey air filter that attaches to the new carb top.  There may have been some other items as well, but you do have most of the necessary stuff to make the change.  I think it would be worthwhile to go ahead & do it.  These carbs are a bit oversized - especially at lower RPMs.  The upgrade kit helps remedy that situation.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

comatt

Thanks, I was hoping it would work but I figured that I would ask just to make sure that I don't pull the whole thing apart and put it back together and it not working like it should.
Thanks

h2olawyer

Matt -

You also may want to take a look here:

http://www.xz550.com/airbox.html

It's the tech bulletin & instructions for adding the update.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

And tonight I FINALLY got around to replacing those files...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black