About the Petcock... and stupid federal agents

Started by vavision, October 13, 2005, 04:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

I thought you guys could use a good laugh, if you don't want to read through the story though, I'd appreciate you jumping to the ***********************
So the control on my petcock was broken when I got the bike, but thanks to Lou, I have a replacement that came in the mail yesterday. Did I install it last night? No it was pouring.

So this morning on the way to work I notice a lack of power while accelerating... ok, I knew I should have filled her up last night but I forgot. So I get off the main road, pull into a side street and begin to take my pliers out of my bag. As I start to move towards the broken off stub I currently have for a toggle I hear a cough, followed by "Sir, may I ask you to step away from the motorcycle".

Yeah, apparently I should have looked further down the side street. Had I done so I would have noticed that it led to a secured gate to a federal complex. Apparenly a guy on an all black bike, with all skin covered playing around in a big bag strapped onto his bike and pulling out tools is "suspicious". They took me and my bike over to the guard shed where they searched my bike and my stuff and I got patted down. The whole process took about 40 minutes and by then it was time for the heavy D.C. rush hour I was trying to avoid.

Morale of the story, whenever you can work on your Vision right away.

Also of note, you can park a bike in D.C. for free in some places, others charge you $.25 for 90 minutes of parking.

When I go to replace the toggle on the petcock (it turns from on, pri and res), will I have to drain my gas tank first? I'm not sure if taking off the old one (stump missing the paddle) will allow gas to flow out of the petcock through that opening. Any ideas, suggestions?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

QBS

Assuming you plan to do this without removing the petcock from the tank, with the tank on the bike:  When you take the chrome ring off the petcock, the control lever will come straight off and gas will flood the area.

A better way is to remove the tank from the bike and perform the lever transfer with the tank laying on its' right hand side.  That way the gas in the tank will be away from the petcock entrance.  Cheers.

vavision

Since there was little under a gallon there, I just drained the tank so I didn't have to take it off. Now I have a nice new toggle. I'll post a picture of the stub that I had before. It was barely enough to get a pair of pliers on
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

Lucky

you can do it with the tank low on fuel:  place some old towels down first & lay the tank on it's side.  not upside down beacuse fuel will leak out of the filler cap.
then you can pull the 2 screws off.  there is a wave washer under the lever, & an o-ring on it, be careful with this o-ring, it's very thin & easy to break. greasing the o-ring before putting the valve in will help

your probably better off not removing the whole petcock to do this or you'll have another seal to fix, lol

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black