News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Camera and a little tail cleanup

Started by zore, October 15, 2005, 01:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

I decided I hated the look of the rear fender so I took it off.  Not being one to cut up stock parts, I made the under cover and license plate bracket out of clearn lexan.  Why lexan you ask?  It's what I had.  it's easy to cut and bends easily with a heat gun.  Besides replacing the carburetor, i've been taking pictures of useless things all day with my new camera.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Quote from: zore on October 15, 2005, 01:25:11 PM
Besides replacing the carburetor, i've been taking pictures of useless things all day with my new camera.

Better be careful calling the V a useless thing.  It may hear you & get mad.  Then you'll be in trouble.   ;D

I have never really liked the rear fender treatment on these bikes either.  Your mods look pretty good.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Sable

I still like the looks of the little half fender on the choppped V that was in June '04 Cycle World. I'd put the link here, but the picture in no longer available ;D

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

crazyjimmy

crackerkorean

Hope you dont mind but I was going to borrow your idea and do the same to my bike.

Where did you attach the lexan to the underside of the bike?

zore

I'll take some pics.  I bent the lexan up in the same shape as teh stock fender.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Extent

Looks very clean, I like the look of a bobbed fender.  I went the route of just trimming the stock one down, I wanted to keep the plate lights and couldn't be bothered to fabricate something from scratch (at the time) so I just took the lights off their extension, located the plate mount as high as it would go and trimmed everything that hung below the plate.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

thekid

I was looking thru old posts today and just saw the shaved rear fender on your bike. Talk about deja Vu! It looks exactly like the butt end of my bike! I got the same results by cutting off the rear fender (only the exposed bits) with a cutting wheel and reusing the factory liscence plate mount with minor modifications. some cutting and bending required there also. With allittle redneck ingenuity Iwas able to reuse the light as well to keep it legal.  I mounted the new aftermarket bullet style blinkers to the luggage rack mounts with a little drilling.
I love the look, but my wife's butt gets a little wet when we ride thru puddles! ::)
Ride It Like You Stole It!

Blurred Vision

I'm another fan of the bobbed fender. Not a lot of fabrication required. Attached existing plate mount and light to the 2 bolts inside the tail piece. Brings the bike from the 80's to the 90's.
Jay

YellowJacket!

I REALLY LIKE your paint job Jay.  Do you have a better picture that you can share with us?  That flame job looks great.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:D Must be catching? :o !!!
I chopped mine a few weeks back as I didn't like the original fender"style".Gives the "old girl" a much more modern look.? 8)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?John.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Quote from: DaveTN on January 09, 2006, 05:01:56 PM
I REALLY LIKE your paint job Jay. Do you have a better picture that you can share with us? That flame job looks great.

David

Also, what do i see the ends of those Mac pipes?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blurred Vision

The mac pipes have Hard Krome spiral baffles, the only thing I could find to fit a 3 " pipe. Loud as hell though. I don't mind it suits the Mad Max look of the bike 8).

Here's a closer look at the flames I'll have to post a second photo in another post.
Jay

Blurred Vision

Here's the top of the tank. It took me an entire week to do the entire bike.
Jay

Blurred Vision

Ok last pic of the tank. This all Laquer products no automotive finish used. Work with what you know I guess. ;D
Jay

thekid

Dude, that has to be the sweetest paint scheme I have ever seen on a Vision!  Big ups to thee , bro.  -thekid
Ride It Like You Stole It!

ps2/bikevision

hey zore where did you put your plate. when i choped my finder i did mine like this

my wheel helped adjust the plate so it wouldnt rub. also i mounted the factory liscence light to the back of the box behind the tail light.

Blurred Vision

Quote from: thekid on January 12, 2006, 06:43:19 PM
Dude, that has to be the sweetest paint scheme I have ever seen on a Vision!? Big ups to thee , bro.? -thekid

Thanks man. I was lucky enough to get a mechanically sound bike, just had to clean her up. As of yet I haven't seen another flamed vision. I can see me repainting the bike every winter just to have something to do. Gotta mix it up a little ya know.
Jay

Superfly

The bike looks really nice.? I enjoy interesting paintjobs, that is one of the best I have seen on the Vision!

I like to wrench on the bikes, and trust me, the Vision finds things for you to do to her!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Blurred Vision

No kidding I bought an aftermarket universal headlight fairing and she deciced to melt the lense for me. I put aftermarket turn signals on her and they wouldn't blink...then one melted.

Thanks for the compliment that is my 4th time painting the vision since Aug 05.
Some people wrench all winter long and I will probably paint every winter.
Jay