SS brake lines.

Started by zore, October 17, 2005, 12:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

For those of you who are still running around with those awfull rubber brake lines.  Do yourselves a favor and buy the ss line asap.  Maybe my brake line was not the norm, but the front brake was non existant before replacing the line.  I'll get out the part numbers for you all.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

crackerkorean

I never got the ride the V with the built in ABS but I know my SS line works well. Not as grabby as my friends ninja but work well none the less.

Superfly

Definately go SS lines.  I rode for a while on the orig. lines, then after the upgrade, it was like night and day.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

it's on my "very soon to do" list.  I have the 83 dual set-up. i've been trying to figure out the length of the hose, i have an 82 line that seems to be the same 'run' length (but must be a little longer due to the taller risers)  i'm planning on going with 2 equal length hoses instead of 3 hoses, a block, extra bolts, washers, etc...

so i'll appreciate part #'s, prices & specs.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

this is what i'm assuming so far:
--4 ea: 10mm ends with 30 degree (?) bends
--2 ea: SS hoses ??x?? (1/4"x 32" ??)
--1 ea: dual 10mm banjo bolt
--5 crush washers

I'm really not sure of the line specs, & the banjo's on the calipers can be reused, correct?

Superfly

I cheated!  I scoured junkyards for mine.  I was able to find one for my 82 front end, and one for my 83 front end.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

silicon_toad2000

I was going to do that to mine, b ut I asked a brake guy what it would cost and he said about 200 bucks so that put me off for a while, I know I need to look into it much more thoroughly before giving up completely.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

zore

your left side line shoudl be a tad longer.  Although I bought the new banjo bolts, I reused the old ones with washers since they only sent me one.  If you need a banjo bolt let me know.  You'll need 2 lines and 4 banjo fittings and 4 banjo bolts if that's how you want to do it. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rick G

Hey lucky,  Mine has  dual  lines, if you want I'll measure them and report back
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on October 17, 2005, 04:46:57 PM
this is what i'm assuming so far:
--4 ea: 10mm ends with 30 degree (?) bends
--2 ea: SS hoses ??x?? (1/4"x 32" ??)
--1 ea: dual 10mm banjo bolt
--5 crush washers

I'm really not sure of the line specs, & the banjo's on the calipers can be reused, correct?

Your parts list is generally correct.? I'd say to get all new banjo bolts.? The Yamaha banjo fittings are narrower than the aftermarket fittings & the holes don't line up as well in them.? I found it was the worst on the splitter manifold (which you are going to eliminate).? I couldn't use the Yamaha double banjo bolt because the lower hole ended up clear out of the passage inside the second banjo fitting.? Besides, the Yamaha banjo bolts are gold toned & your new fittings will be chrome, stainless or anodized (depending on how much $$ you want to spend).

The dual line setup should cost less than replicating the original 83 setup in braided stainless?& it is how most of the newer bikes are set up anyway.? Kind of wish I'd done it like that instead, but I love the way mine works now so I won't be changing it anytime soon.

Quote from: zore on October 17, 2005, 06:15:09 PM
your left side line shoudl be a tad longer. Although I bought the new banjo bolts, I reused the old ones with washers since they only sent me one. If you need a banjo bolt let me know. You'll need 2 lines and 4 banjo fittings and 4 banjo bolts if that's how you want to do it.

What's the 4th banjo bolt for?? As I see it you only need one in each caliper & a double at the master cylinder.  I wasn't great with math (that's why I went into law instead of engineering) so I may be missing one or adding wrong.  ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

The 4th banjo fitting is to keep in your pocket when one of the others falls off.  We do ride visions after all.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

I wasn't thinking of a double at the master, just one on each end of each line.

yes, the line size is what i need...

supervision

Lucky, 30" worked for me, get a new bolt for doubling up at the master. Ican't remember if it was  a Parts Unlimited or K&L book that we looked it up and ordered from, I do remember the bolt cost about 16 bucks though.  I split some clear hose to take away the abrasive nature of the braided lines.   (covered them full length)  Dave
" border="0

Lucky

the ones i've seen already have a plastic cover.  so 30" x what? 1/4"?  Super which ft end?

supervision

I just looked at it, the o.d. including the braid is  1/4"     The visionmiester sponsered me on the first hose, (from his single disc setup) so I just had to get one hose together.. this chopper shop in my neighbor hood was stocking up on new, build your own hose and fittings and they had a big box of misc. lines that were  not doing much with... I looked thru em and found a perfect length hose for $20 bucks!   Dave

" border="0

hfarley

Don't know if this is even the right one but I just got an email from Ebay that this brake line is for sale. Thought it might help!
-Heather
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-VISION-550-1982-GALFER-FRONT-1-SS-BRAKE-LINE-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQitemZ4583661194QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

zore

That would figure that one would show up on ebay after I bought one. :o
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

Zore- how much $ was your set up? I assume 'cuz you have an 82 it was a single line?

Has anyone bought a "Galfer"?

Has this board had any success in group buys?

OT... but I can I ask? - anyone got a spare bracket from caliper to line? mine's awol? :(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Extent

The Galfer kit looks nice, but it's a bit more expensive than the Russel kit.  The only thing the Russel kit was missing is the plastic sheath, not really a big deal, and the improvement is amazing, even w/ the single caliper
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

Night Vision, do you mean the chrome clip that bolts to the fender? i have a spare if you need it (for the left, & i think it matters)

--Lucky