News:

Main Menu

SS brake lines.

Started by zore, October 17, 2005, 12:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

The only problem is neither kit is made anymore.  So for the 55 dollars or whatever, it's a bargin.  I paid well over that making my own single line.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

Lucky, I was referring to the one that bolts to caliper? I have the guide on the fender. I think there's supposed to be one there because there was a "rubber snubber" on the brake line near the caliper area
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

ok, on my 82 line sitting here i have the rubber 'bushing' for the fender bracket & another one about halfway up the line. ?i have 83 dual lines on now, but if i remember right, the 82 line had something holding it to the tripple tree...i think...
could it be that the tripple tree clamp (if that's waht it was) is missing & someone moved those bushings around? i really don't remember anything clamping to the caliper other than the banjo end..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

I reused those, they come off.  I actually didn't put the one on by the triple.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

Lucky: here is picture I borrowed from eBay..... that rusty lower bracket is the one I'm talking about. That's about where the rubber bushing is on my brake line so I thought it (the missing bracket?) clamped to caliper. If it doesn't go there, it looks like it should cuz my line looks like it could use some support there.

On a separate note- I discovered that calipers tend to leak when they have a hammered-on piston and only one out of two seals. Thought I'd warn anyone else who was thinking about doing that mod!!!!!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

zore

I still have all the stock brackets.  Want pics?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

that rusty chrome one IS for the fender, there are no supports below that.

Lucky

I've started putting together my lines. i'm using Goodridge (www.goodridge.net) parts because, well, that's what was in stock.

#6126 --32x1/4" clearcoated female line (for the left side)? $25.95
#6125 --30x1/4"? ? ? "? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?"? ? ? ? "? (for the right side) $24.95
#6053 -- 28 deg banjo ends (4 each @ )$10.95 ea? ? ? ? ? ? ? $43.80
#6060 -- Banjo bolts (includes washers) $4.50 ea? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?$9.00
#6065 Double banjo bolt (w/ washers)? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?$15.25

Total (not including brake fluid)? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? $118.95

the double banjo bolt had to be ordered (of course!)

I already have speed bleeders on the calipers & it wasn't untill after i wrote the check that the girl noticed they had a double banjo with a speed bleeder built in.? i would have prefered that, but was too lazy to rewrite the check....

I'm reusing those chrome brackets mentioned below, i just cut the rubber section smaller (line dia is smaller) and crimped the bracket a bit.

So, now convince me why i should switch to Dot 5...

--Lucky

h2olawyer

That's just a few $ less than I spent on my lines to duplicate the 83 system.  The $$ saved in fewer banjo bolts & fittings is mostly offset by the costlier hose lengths.  I used a combination of Goodridge hoses & Russell fittings.  That's what the shop ordered for me.  I like the quality of the Goodridge hoses.

I didn't have the right side bracket so I removed the left bracket & used longer allen bolts in my fork brace to hold a couple loop type brackets (like are used in some conduit & plumbing setups) to brace the lines.

Used DOT 4 fluid, because it was what was available when I got the other parts.  DOT 5 is better only because it doesn't absorb water as much as DOT 3 or 4 & I think it puts up with higher braking temps better.  As for overall performance, I doubt you'll notice a difference among DOT 3, 4 or 5.  Just make sure you don't use the purple 5.1.  You'll end up with goo through the system if there's any of the old fluid anywhere in there.

This is another of those "Why didn't I do this sooner?" upgrades.  You're gonna love your new brakes!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Every month I get an emailed newsletter from an organization called Old Bike Barn.  They sell new and used bike parts.  The latest newsletter featured their new line of custom made hydraulic steel braided hoses.  The hoses themselves  come in a multitude of colors.  And, the stainless steel end fittings also come in several colors that are guarenteed not to UV fade.  They will put whatever color fitting you want on whatever colored hose you need.  Each hose/fitting combination costs $49.99 regardless of length.  Don't recall information about banjo bolts being provided.  Looks like a really good deal to me.  Cheers.

QBS

I just reclaimed their web address:http://www.oldbikebarn.com
Cheers again.

Lucky

I got thr double banjo fitting today (it is a Russell, part # R40517)
now if it ever stops raining...

still waiting for a convincing argument on what brake fluid to use...

bmeyer6472

I went to a local hose shop a few years ago to get my '82 brake line done - if I remember correctly, it cost less than $50. For anyone who has problems finding brake lines ready to buy, and industrial hose shop can make custom lines for you.