A general question before I begin

Started by mgreen, November 13, 2005, 11:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgreen

So here's my story...Back in 1986, when I was a senior in college, I was looking for a bike to replace the old XS400 I was riding and came across a new 1982 Vision at the dealer.  It had been in storage for four years and the price was right ($1200), so I took my student loan money and bought the Vision.  It never really ran right, experiencing problems with overheating and carbs going out of adjustment, among others.  Still, I rode it every day and put about 6,000 miles on it before a combination of excessive problems and my lack of time to fix them conspired to have me put the bike in the garage and forget about it.  I last rode the bike regularly in about 1987 or so and it's been under a tarp in my parents' garage since.

The last time I rode it, the front brake was not working and it was very difficult to start.  So the problems that I know existed back then were:

1.  Carb not holding a proper setting
2.  Overheating
3. oil leaks
4. front disc brake problem (no idea what it was, the lever just stopped having any resistance)
5. starting system problems galore (it was always a difficult bike to get started and the last time I tried to start it, many years ago, all I got was a clicking noise, even with a fresh battery)
6.  And, of course, it has now been in storage for over 15 years without any service or preparation.

I'm now at the point where I have plenty of room in my own garage and I'm looking for an interesting project for weekends.  I am not very mechanically inclined, but I can do some basic work and my brother in law is a pretty good mechanic, in case I get into big trouble.  So based on the above, and with the assumption that I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, does anyone have any guess as to how difficult it would be to go over this bike and get it running again?

I know that it's an impossible question to answer without looking at the bike, but I'm just looking for some very rough guesses, based on the collective experience of others with this bike.

Thanks.

Lucky

Welcome to the ROV!!
you certainly came to the right place, we esily know more about the bike than the dealer did way back when, & they won't touch it now anyway..

carb: rebuild kits ava from Keyster on Ebay, about $30 each (you'll need 2)

overheating: soak the bolt on the metal heater pipe under the tank in PB Blaster for 2 days then crack it open as you fill the cooling system. this is an air bleed bolt. all the air has to be out of the cooling system or it'll run hot.  after all this time you'll probbly need to pull the radiator & flush the cooling system

Oil leaks: seal them.. Yamabond 4, fresh gasketts & clean mating surfaces.

front brake: caliper & master cyl rebuild, flush the line.

Starting system:  test the systemn per the Electrex (www.electrosport.com) fault finding chart, your probably looking at a stator & regulator, plus oil in the starter by now.

Your going to be sinking some cash into the bike, but it doesn't have to be a lump all at once, as you said it has sat for a while, & had problems when parked, so do a little here & there & before you know it you'll have a nice running bike that performs better than you remember, and'll put a bigger grin on your face!!

read all the old posts you can here, & check out my pages as well
http://www.xz550.com

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Welcome!

Good overview by Lucky, as always.

The fact that the bike's been sitting for a while makes me reccommend this simple advice - take your time, go step by step, that way the process won't be frustrating. I'm just about to finish (I hope!) a year long rebuild on my second Vision, from a complete disaster to a nice looking bike that almost runs.

Keep the questions coming, don't think you'll be bothering us, and know that there isn't a dumb question.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

silicon_toad2000

If you have the time, we have the advice. Welcome aboard mate.
Oh and patience, beer and a little tv in the garage. you'll need those too.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

kiawrench

welcome, hello , and good luck. just dont give up!!
  there are several wizards in these woods to help you, as well as quite a few really good house magicians . We can and will help instill life in your bike, one project at a time.
  it helps to really sit back and make a strong to-do list, then start a chart with each project listed, that way you will see ,feel and know that each items is done as you go along .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Superfly

Welcome to the forum, I am glad to see another being restored instead of junked/parted out.  Take the gas cap out and look in the tank.  I don't want to add another one on your list, but from experience....

I have restored a couple of these bikes.  Definately take your time.  It is more enjoyable than anything on TV!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Glad to hear from another ambitious lunatic!  Great advice here.  Your story is similar to mine.  When I finally got it out of storage & back into running condition a few years ago, I discovered this site & found it extremely helpful.  It runs better today than it did when new.

After lurking for a long time, I finally joined.  You won't find a better, more helpful motorcycle forum than this one.  Good luck getting yours back among the living!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

m,
Start by putting it on the center stand, pulling it into second or third gear and gently trying to roll the back wheel? ? ? ? ?Do not force, it moves or it doesn't!

Then..

Post what you learn here, it turned over or it did not turn over.

;)? ? ? That is the first step,? 8)? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Welcome to ROV.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ;D? ? ? coil

mgreen

Thanks to everyone for the information and encouragement.  I'm going to start this slowly.  As a preliminary matter, what kind of tools should I have ready?  As I said in my initial post, I am not very mechincally inclined and I have some basic tools for around-the-house needs (e.g., screwdrivers, basic socket set, drill) but nothing specialized.  I assume I'd need a torque wrench and maybe some electric test equipment.  If anyone can give me some hints as to what the most important and frequently used tools would be in a basic Vision overhaul (that are within the range of the average person's budget) I'd appreciate the help.

QBS

Why do you think you need a "basic Vision overhaul"?  You answer that question first, then go from there.  So, whats the answer?  Cheers.

mgreen

I'm using that term "basic Vision overhaul" as shorthand for the problems I described in my first post (i.e., the bike hasn't been started in over 10 years, last time I rode it it had overheating and carb problems, etc.).  What I'm trying to do is figure out what is the typical set of tools a person has for this kind of work.  I'm trying to get things that I'll likely use before I start. 

QBS

For starters, in no particular order of importance (they're all important): a set of metric end wrenches(8mm to 19mm), a set of 3/8' drive metric sockets (8mm to 19mm), assorted sizes of flat blade and phillips head screw drivers, three different length ratchet extentions(short,  intermediate, and long), 3/8" drive ratchet wrench, an inexpensive multimeter (see Radio Shack), a Haynes manual(don't start this project without it!), a cheap battery charger(Walmart), a Battery Tender Jr. battery maintainer, a POR 15 tank sealer kit, an impact driver and associated bits, a large and small vice grips, needle nose pliers.

When it comes to tools the list could almost be never ending.I'm sure others here will be able to add their favorites to this list.  Just remember that whatever tools you have to buy will also serve you for the rest of your life on many other projects to come.  They arn't just for Vision tools.

Please don't hesitate to ask us questions.  We're here to help.  Cheers

Lucky

also a must have set of tools: Metric hex wrenches, preferably with a ball end on one end. And no, i'm not sending you on a wild goose chase, like a "blivot handle", or a "pound of steam cleaner" that's really what the tool is called..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

....and don't forget the First Aid Kit....

You'll need it when your oil soaked hand slips off the wrench while you are trying to loosen the air bolt on the radiator hose... :P

been there, done that.

Anyway, a big welcome to you!  About 8 months ago, I was in the same situation as you are.  My V hadn't been ridden in about 12 years and was in desperate need of some "work".  After about 3 months and a lot of help and advice from the great people here, I became a "Rider of Vision". (I started out as a pusher and puller of vision and worked my way up)

Good luck to you.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

i found a great answer for this question,, SEARS CRAFTSMAN  loves motorcycles now !

go to Sears, buy the basic metric motorcycle tools set, every basic tool you will need is in there, add in a mid-line digital multimeter and a craftsman impact driver set(get the one with the removable nose, there is a 3/8 drive head on it that fits sockets too).
  Going this route is cheaper than buying sets of tools only to use certain wrenches  while the rest just rust in a box .

The special tools will pop up now and then, most can be found at any good hardware center or tool vendor. the only tool that is truly hard to get is the tool for adjusting valves, but am sure we will find a reliable vendor for that too in time .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .