New to ROV & Motorcycles

Started by 67GTO, December 18, 2005, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

I just picked up a 82 with 8.5k. It's red with a black full fairing from a 83, has the original front tire(all weather checked). As far as I can tell nothing has been updated on it (starter seal,clutch bolts,stator connector,etc..) A coworker spotted it in a garage where he was doing some remodeling. It had a plate from 94 so it's been sitting for a while. We put a fresh battery in it and it started right up! But as soon as we put it in gear it died (info from this site pointed me in the right direction-side stand switch, Thanks!)
    This spring I will take a motorcycle riding course at the Tech College.
Any other Vision owners in central WI?
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

Welcome!  Man your gonna love this bike!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Wecome to ROV.I have recently joined my-self,(see;Let me introduce my-self).Great bunch of people from around the globe to help you.The Vision IS a great bike,Enjoy. TigerJohn,Canada.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tdub

I am originally from Beaver Dam area. Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

Night Vision

67GTO- I will mail the seal out on Wednesday.

I hope the side stand switch is your only "no show". As far as updates go....
your next stop should be Lucky's site.

http://www.xz550.com/

Lots of good stuff.. read through it... test on Friday? ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

67GTO

Already been there,lots and lots of excellent info.

One question, is it ok to keep the battery tender on the battery while it is hooked up to the bikes electrical system. Or do I need to disconnect the black and red wires while it's on the charger?

h2olawyer

Hi 67GTO & welcome!

There is nothing wrong with keeping your battery hooked up to the electrical system while the battery tender is plugged in.  There should be a wiring harness that attaches to the terminals & screws down - for a semi-permanent mount.  This gets plugged into the battery tender & then plug the battery tender into the household current.  I've been doing this for 2 years with no problems.

Taking the MSF riding course is a great way to get your riding started.  I took the beginner's course last summer & I've been riding off & on for over 25 years.  Lots of good info in that class.  Planning to take the advanced course this spring & maybe a track based 'street strategies' course as well.

Was in Thorp, WI a couple years ago.  A good friend's grandmother lives there & we went out for a quick visit & to pick up a farm implement in Mondovi to bring back to Colorado.  Pretty country up there.  The riding in the hills along the Mississippi look like lots of fun.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

Last sat. I drained the oil, installed a new oil filter, changed drive shaft lube
replaced the plugs, and replaced the starter seal.

Next I want to do the starter clutch bolts, but I'm having trouble finding them in town.

I have a few questions about the cooling system
Should I replace the 180o thermostat with a 160o? Stant#13758

I understand that the fan switch does not turn on until the temp gauge is past mid position. Is it possible to replace the switch with one that closes at a cooler temp? What about a switch from another model or manufacture?

After I brought my bike up to operating temp I noticed a little coolant by the
small hole pointing down and forward below the radiator hoses. Would this mean I have a problem with the water pump?

QBS

Weep hole coolent leak means replace the water pump seal.  The stock cooling system is more than adequate.  Don't change anything but the coolent.  Don't take the beginners MSF on your V. Use the course provided 250cc bike.  Replacement starter clutch attachement bolts can be had from any hardware or home improvement center.  Take an oem one with with you and buy its replacement about three threads longer.  Install an inline fuel filter immediately!  Leave your Battery Tender hooked up at all times when not riding.  Always drain both carbs when you know the bike will be inactive for more than a week.  Welcome aboard.  You've got a great bike that with TLC will last you 20 years and at least 100,000 miles.  Cheers.

vavision

Anyone know a good location to find a new waterpump seal?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

67GTO

The school provides the bikes.
Should I go with the Battery Tender or Batter Tender JR?
What size is the gas line (1/4"?)
Any particular type of gas filter?
I should probably replace all of the gas and vacume lines. Is there anything
better than just rubber lines?

Sorry for so many questions!

QBS

Jr. is all you need.  Don't know line size.  A simple conical shaped filter is available from auto parts stores, bike shops or lawn and garden equipment  repair depots.  Line that says "fuel line" is good enough.

Water pump seals are a dealer only item.  Availability is excellent.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE YOUR WATER PUMP SEAL WITHOUT CONSULTING THE HAYNES MANUAL FIRST.  REPLACEMENT ENTAILS INTERFACING WITH THE MOST CRITICAL OIL SEAL IN THE V ENGINE.  EASY TO MESS UP IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION.  MESSING UP ...WILL....KILL THE ENGINE IN SHORT ORDER

Cheers.

67GTO

Thanks, I sent DGY an order today which included both water pump seals. I will use the Haynes manual along with the factory manual (thanks Lucky for the CD)

Just got done replacing the fuse box.

Need to wait on ordering the ss brake line for a while.

Kenny

Welcome  67GTO,
    Neat Car!
    I have the  regular Battery tender (about 8 yrs old) I also have three small solar chargers & each one plugs into a two pin  SAE type connector  along with a fuse, this is wired right to the Battery terminals. You will get one of these with your Battery Tender.
     I use a tapered plastic 90 degree fuel filter that Dennis Kirk sells as it fits from the petcock to the catrbs with less bending of lines.
                           Have fun.
                                     Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Night Vision

67GTO,

PM me if you haven't found any starter clutch screws/bolts. ones I bought were a whopping $0.34 ea. you'll probably want to cut or grind them down a bit unless you are an extraordinarily good peener.

you're going to have to look pretty hard for a forkbrace.

sure glad I bought that $35 dolla fork brace for $130? >:( when I had the chance?

;D

Lucky

I used to be a good peener, when i was a kid I could hit...oh wait, nevermind... :-[

I gotta stop posting late at night...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

67GTO

I can find the bolts, but they are just standard bolts not hardened.
Don't I need Grade 12.9?

Night Vision

12.9 is recommended, that's why you have to be a good peener!
;D