News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

progression on the xz550SE

Started by Night Vision, January 12, 2006, 07:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

after much patience and some fustration, tonight it finally came together......

? ;D ;D ;D? SUCCESS? ;D ;D ;D

I took SE out for our first ride.? Just up and down the drive and up and down the street a few times. easy does it! she's just getting broken in ya know (5.8K mi.)

... there were a couple of things I noticed tonight ..... since I rebuilt the front brake system, rebuilt the carbs, por'd the tank, cleaned all the electrical connetions, rebuilt the starter, replaced the stator and probably something else I'm forgetting.........

She starts (still have to pull in the clutch no matter what), runs, stops, idles, and charges

What's up with that!!?? ? ::)

THIS BOARD IS THE BEST

next up......

oil cooler mod

and then....

mojo carb tune (once weather gets a little more seasonable)

and then....

fork seals / springs?

and then....
and then....
and then....
and then....? no more and then!!

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Congratulations Night Vision!

With the V there is ALWAYS an "and then"  ;)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

silicon_toad2000

dude, wheres my stumble...
dude, wheres your stumble....
dude
sweet
dude
sweet
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

QBS

I am so happy for you!  If you think it's good now, wait until you've put a two to three hundred mile day ride under the wheels.  Then you'll begin to see the light.  The best is yet to come.  Cheers.

Night Vision

and then......? I mucked it up? >:( >:(

should have stopped while I was ahead. Decide to come home early from work; such a nice day to do the fuse box mod.....

all was well until I rev'd it up past 4 or 5k rpm..... she quit... blown main fuse.....

and then... put another 30a in, turned ignition on.... blow me [fuse] again!
and then ... put another 30a in, turned ignition on...blow me [fuse] again..
and then ... pushed her around in top gear, put a 25a in (ran outta 30,)turned ignition on...you KNOW what happened...

I was on the upper voltage scale since the stator replace....14.6 at idle, dropped down to 14.4 at 5K rpm.... maybe I toasted the R&R? with such "good" charging ???

I know when I was restoring my 944 I experienced what I "fondly" refer to as the "down syndrom".? Once you replaced something, something down stream wasn't used to getting the full load. Replace squealing electric fuel pump.... fuel filter gets overloaded, replace filter, regulator/dampner get pissed, replace them, injectors get jealous? ?:'( :'( waaahhh!

;D

QBS

During 22 years of ownership I've never blown the main fuse.  Get a wiring schematic and check down stream from the fuse for a short.  Your voltage output is nominal.  The RR drops the voltage as rpm increases.   Don't worry about that.  Cheers.

Coil Coyle

Night,
           Are you still running the stock fuse box, your post is not clear?

If stock, pull all of the other fuses. Put in a 10 to 20 amp fuse in the main and see if it blows. Check TECHNICAL/ WIRING DIAGRAM on home page to see where to look for the short to the frame.

If the main does not blow, add one of the fuses at a time until it does blow and look at that fuses circuit.

Post your results, we can move through it with you.
;)
coil

Night Vision

well you can color me stupid for that main fuse blow post.

After I did the stator and checked the volts at the battery, I liquid taped, shrinked wrapped and then friction taped the stator wires.

wish I had remembered to do such a nice job on the hardwiring coming from the R&R to the TCi.

In anticipation of having to check the R&R [in case I had too much juice after the doin the stator],? I left the wires bare, but had little pieces of tubing left over from the manometer make? seperating them.

after a couple of test rides and other runs, they decided to short togther and chews some fuse.

amazing what comes to you in your sleep? :D
;D