News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Odd is that it was still working!

Started by MotorPlow, January 16, 2006, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Wanna see a picture of some scary starter clutch and rotor damage? You can click on the picture in this Blog entry and the picture will open to full size:

http://motorplow.blogspot.com/2006/01/starter-clutch-hell.html

Weird is that this problem never really made a lot of noise and the starter clutch was still working! If you have never checked your starter clutch bolts or have never even had the left side cover off, now would be a good time to order a new side cover gasket and check things out. The starter clutch bolts where polished clean. The only threading left on the bolt was about 2 threads at the very bottom of each bolt.

~MotorPlow

Mutt

I'm glad your taking care of this now instead of after April! You know how I feel about two up (same sex) except in an emergency.? :P

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Superfly

Nice write up.  At first, that is a intimidating job, but not too bad once you get the hang of it!

Sorry to hear about your spare crankshaft, that really blows.  Connection rod berrings was the WORST thing I have ever done on this engine, and I will not crack them cases unless I really... really have to!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ps2/bikevision

man chris that really sucks man. but it does remind me that i have yet to check mine, even though i have had the cover off. looks like im ordering a new gasket. dont want any suprises on the next trip to the gap.

thekid

I fixed my starter clutch with the" Lucky" method. all the noise stopped, but I still have no idea what the starter clutch does exactly!  please enlighten me. I feel like I should know this. ???
Ride It Like You Stole It!

Night Vision

Quote from: Superfly on January 16, 2006, 05:02:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your spare crankshaft, that really blows.?

for those that haven't pulled the rotor yet.... take Lucky's advice to get longer (fly wheel puller) bolts, grade 12.9 also. get them long enough so that you can put a sacrifical spare bolt back in the crankshaft hole. then you can torque and pound the puller against the "spare" bolt head and not worry about messing up the crank.

sorry [Motorplow] I didn't post that tip earlier, but what the hell do I know,? I'm makin stuff up as I go?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

You know that expression "You need a bigger hammer"?
Chris, you need a bigger hammer...
It shouldn't take more than a couple of minuets of 'tighten & WHACK!' to get the flywheel off.
You have to hit it without fear! like John Henry driving spikes!

Also, you should be hitting the end of the puller, not the side of the rotor, you'll crack the magnets..  I have to dress the end of my puller each time i pull a flywheel, i mushroom the end.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

i completely agree with Mutt on the two up thing, esp same same? folks,,, but it isnt so bad when the second up is not the same and is really easy to look at ,esp in well fitting pair of chaps and a lace up vest,,,,? ?oh, sorry, got side? tracked---------- i did those  bolts when i first read of it , long time ago, and have since done a second bike also , three or four good whacks on a 12 ton puller set using a truck tire hammer, and off it pops, (just use the substitute bolt? and a cardboard box to catch all the small parts. so far, nothing broken )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

I found using a pneumatic impact wrench on the puller worked great - NO hammer & I barely noticed a difference in the rotation speed of the wrench.  It almost came to a stop for a couple impact cycles & then the rotor just came loose.  Very painless & I didn't mushroom the head of the puller bolt.

Too late to help now, but for those going to do it in the future, it's something to consider.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

Motorplow, I did mine before we went to the Gap last time. When I pulled the side cover off, the bolts looked like they had been peened before but only one time and they had done it on the original size bolts. Eventhough someone had peened them over they were still loose.

Kia, I guess we're behind the times. Looks like riding "Two Up" is in style. Read review below.

Mutt

"Brokeback Mountain," a drama about a forbidden romance between two cowboys, wins four Golden Globes Monday night in Los Angeles, including Best Motion Picture Drama and Best Director for Ang Lee.
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

kiawrench

well,, i guess i will just be behind the times-- awards or not , horses and cowboys just arent in my list of things to ride before i get too old .
  if a feloow rider has a problem, and his (or her ) bike goes down, will buddy up, is only right, but only to first stopping point, ,after all, someone has to ride back with the trailer to get the dead bike .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

MotorPlow

Quote from: Lucky on January 16, 2006, 10:50:28 PM
Also, you should be hitting the end of the puller, not the side of the rotor, you'll crack the magnets..? I have to dress the end of my puller each time i pull a flywheel, i mushroom the end.
--Lucky

Yup, I was hitting the end of the puller, mushroomed it and everything. I only hit the side of the rotor with the rubber deadblow hammer, knowing that it would not damage it. After I got the rotor off and put the new one on, I still couldn't help but think I had whacked it too hard and maybe damaged something.  Then after I put the oil in, I couldn't get the bike into 1st gear. Of course, after I started the bike and all the oil got into all the placed it's supposed to get into, everything was fine. No problems, no damage.