News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Replacing swingarm bearings...

Started by Seanie, December 30, 2004, 05:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanie

I need to replace my swing arm bearings but have never done it before.  I'm confident I can do the job pretty easily, but will I need anything more (parts) than the replacement bearings?
-Thanks

kiawrench

a service manual,,, factory or haynes would be of great help, but really, if you arent ready, this can be a daunting task-

if you have not done this before, i would think that you should get some help from an experienced wrench
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Kenny

Hi Seanie,
     I'm not sure what mechanical experience you have, if you have some experience & a manual you should be able to replace the bearings. You hould also replace the seals outboard of the bearings. Are the bearings seized or worn out? Or do the old ones just require grease? Check them out before replacement.
                          Cheers Ken S

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

louthepou

I sort of had the same questions as Ken S. I once stripped one Vision frame to get it painted, and that allowed me to regrease the swingarm bearings. Was easy to do with the naked frame...

I guess the easier they are to reach, the easier the job of changing them, if that's really needed. You'll need to remove quite a few parts to get there. Then, I'm unsure how tight they are in their housing?

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Ed Hoyle

I have my Vision frame completely stripped down as preparation for powder coating and I removed the swingarm bearings as part of it. The bearings could not be removed without destroying them as the swingarm bushing negates getting either bearing out first and remaining intact. With the swingarm bushing removed I still could not push the other bearing out without ruining it. They were in there pretty tight. I located a company in Connecticut that had exact metric replacement bearings and I will post their location later because that info is on my work computer. Also, my swingarm bushing was very rusted on 1 end due to adequate greasing upon assembly, so I am going to install a new one. I may even install a grease fitting to lube it every so often. You can re-use the end caps if the rubber sealing parts are not torn.

jasonm.

I am in Connecticut. Which bearing place did you get the bearings from?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Ed Hoyle

I will get to my work computer tommorow and get the bearing info. The exact replacement bearings I bought were about $32.00 including shipping.

Ed Hoyle

The Connecticut company that sells IKO metric bearings is...
Bearing Distributors Inc.
266 Bridge St.
Groton, CT 06340-3739
860-448-1731
I spoke with a rep named Kevin

jasonm

If you have the part # that would help us all in the future.

Ed Hoyle

The IKO part number for the swingarm bearings is TA 2428 Z. The spacing in the number is as it appeared on the IKO tag that came with the bearings.