tapered steering bearings?

Started by Emjayw, January 20, 2006, 01:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emjayw

Is a set of tapered bearings available for the '83?  Who can I order them from?  My old ball bearings are dented and won't cut it anymore.  Help!   Emjayw in Ft. Worth, TX
AMA, Yamaha 650 Society, North Texas Norton Owners Assn.
'98 Concours

h2olawyer

The steering bearings for 82 & 83 are the same.  Dennis Kirk (among others) has the bearings.  Normally $40 - $50.

Dennis Kirk Part #: 121435
Manufacturer Part #: 221015  (All Balls Brand)

www.denniskirk.com

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Emjayw

Thanks, I also found them at www.MikesXS.net. They are the same bearings which fit the Yamaha 650. Also ordered two new fiber gaskets for the petcock to tank screws. One of mine has developed a "seep".  Mike
'98 Concours

Coil Coyle

EmJay,
               Is the XS650 frame neck the same length as the Vision's?

? Are the forks a standard handle bar front end swap?

???

coil

Emjayw

Don't know about steering head dimensions, but remember that the Vision sports trailing axle forks and was designed to steer with the wheel in that position.  Swapping another Yam front end could cause an unsafe condition.  All 650's from '77 on have 35mm tubes. Lots of pieces/parts from 70's and 80's Yamaha models will work on the Vision. Check out www.MikesXS.com for lots of 650 pieces and hard to get parts. Now if we could only talk Mike into getting carb and petcock rebuild kits for our 83's, all would be good with the world.  Mike W
'98 Concours

Lucky

Quote from: Emjayw on January 28, 2006, 09:54:15 PM
Now if we could only talk Mike into getting carb and petcock rebuild kits for our 83's, all would be good with the world. Mike W

Sirus/Keyster has 83 rebuild kits on Ebay & I rebuild 83 petcocks.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tdub

Quote from: Emjayw on January 28, 2006, 09:54:15 PM
Don't know about steering head dimensions, but remember that the Vision sports trailing axle forks and was designed to steer with the wheel in that position.? Swapping another Yam front end could cause an unsafe condition.?

Mike, as long as the same offset is retained, the bike will never know the difference where the front axle is.

Just to clarify the diagram, offset is measured thru the axle centerline. The diagram just happens to be a center axle design. Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

Superfly

I have swapped a front end from a Seca Turbo Successfully.  I used the forks, and the triple tree (the lower part of the triple tree is a little closer to the frame than the Visions) to put the front wheel in the same position as the Vision. 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.