Red Paint

Started by 67GTO, January 29, 2006, 09:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

My 82 is red with the gold strips and it has a black 83 full fairing with gold strips.
I would like to paint the fairing red to match the bike. Does anyone know of a brand of spray paint that matches the red? Can the gold strips come off using a hair dryer or will it take the paint off with it?
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

kiawrench

gto, there are many variables involved in "matching " a paint color. best bet, make some deals with a local body shop or someone you know that can paint. remove fuel tank, all fenders,plastics and the fairing. take it down to the person you made the deal with, and let them handle it.

unless you have a lot of experience with paint , or the time and money to use you bike as a learning tool.

usually, the decals and stripes can be removed, but repainting will be required, those have been on a long ,long time - damage is going to result to paint no matter how it is done. again, body shops, paint centers, local hot rodders, all can do this better than most of us.the end result will justify the cost .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

:) I have to agree with K.W.
:)Take the Vision to a decent body shop where they might be able to color match it for you , BUUUUUUUUUUUUT
Bare in mind the age of your V .The paint will have faded over the years along with the usual Scratches and dinks,etc
which wont "blend" with a re-painted fairing.
Ask the shop for a quotation for a full re-spray,explain that you will remove the fairing,gas tank,front fender,various plastic's,etc. I've just gone thro' the same process? ::) for the same reason as you,(and I can spray paint but don't have the facilities? :o). Be happy? ;D .
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

just a note, when i got my fairing it needed to be repainted & the stickers pulled off mostly in one piece, underneath was the original color, in pristine shape (except for the edges where the sticker was)  if you want to paint it the original color it was, have them pull the sticker & match that color.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

67GTO

I know the best would be to take the parts to a body shop, but I'm putting enough into the bike already. It would be a quick spray bomb job so the fairing would not stand out so much. Next year I would paint everything.

Right now my goal is to make it safe and road worthy!

Lucky

I doubt you'll come close to matching the color with spray cans, but brands colors vary..
that said, take a side panel with you to an automotive shop (napa, pepboys, etc...) that sells factory touch up spray paint & try to visually match it up. that's as close as you'll come witout haveing it mixed.

--Lucky

Kenny

Our Canadian Tire stores have a scanner system and can colour match almost colour I believe many Auto Parts stores can do the same sort of thing,although I'm not sure how small the piece can be. I had good luck matching the red/white 83 with a spray bomb.
    A Co. named Color-rite may also be able to help.
                        Cheers Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lead_Deficiency

Any decent automotive paint supplier should be able to scan the colour then mix it up into a custom spray bomb just for you.
You may still have to put a clear coat over it. They have those too.

Lucky

I stand corrected!  ;D

zore

Having done my monster in rattle can a few years ago, I can tell you that the paint doesn't last.  It will never harden up as nice as a good polyurethane.  You're almost better off not worrying about matching the color and repainting the entire bike if that's your concern.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

vavision

I've heard that a good rattle can job can last for 3 years

tops

But after those three years or whenever, you just need to spray another coat or two on and your good to go. I've had bad experience on my old car with getting it professionally done. Started peeling two years later.

If you repaint the entire bike- which honestly isn't all that much. Then I've heard that the high temp engine enamels hold up the best. Yet, you're very limited in color.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

Lead_Deficiency

Yes it certainly will not be as good as a 2 part paint, but if you just trying to limp it along for a while...

vavision

My grandfather used to repaint his bike every winter when he lived in Canada. He liked it as a hobby, it didn't take that much time out of his day, and he can tell which year a summer picture was if his bike was in the background. Still, if you have the money, I'm sure getting it professionally painted is better. I saw a guy today on a sportsbike with black and orange stripes about 2 inches wide all over. It definately looked worth whatever price he paid for it.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

67GTO

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will wait until next winter to have everything painted. This winter it's tires,battery,fuse box,all fluid changes,stator connector,RR fan, polishing alum, and swing arm painting.
I would like to replace the front brake hose with ss but Flanders no longer has the Russell kit. I also e-mailed Joe Browning from somofallparts.com and he said they could custom make one for $100.00.
I know that Dennise Kirk has all kinds of ss hose parts, but I don't know what would work on my bike.
Does anyone know thepart numbers I would need?