Vision Update

Started by Schnurr, February 01, 2006, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnurr

Its been a few weeks but Im almost ready to fire up my Vision project.  Since my last post I have: Swaped front ends, gone to a 2 front disk set up, boiled and sealed my tank, added new Dunlop D404's, changed the valve shims and valve cover gasket, installed a new battery, new spark plugs, fuel filter, fork stabalizer, air box modifcation, rev limiter mod, painted the tank and plastics silver (no fairing)  and changed all the fluids in the whole drive train. 

I had 1,500 set aside to purchase and refurbish and I have only spent $900. Boy does that beat making payments.  Hopefully next week I will fire it up check the stators, starter, and the other little things that have to be figured out once its running.  Hopefully the thing charges and wont need too much more immediately. The next things I know I want to do are the fuse box swap and the exhaust.

Anyway thats the update. With all this done ahead of schedule I should make the Ozark trip with my buddies in April no problem.

Schnurr
Better to have learned than not to have tried

Superfly

It is funny, the Vision gives you a trade off.... You can buy it cheap, and if you have the knowledge (and will power) to fix it yourself, you can save a lot of $$$.  I have yet to buy a running vision, typically I have to fix it (along with alot of members on this board... I'm sure!)  The good thing is that it gets us off the couch (I mean c'mon... we've watched enough T.V. already, haven't we!!) and out working on the bike(s).
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Tiger

:) Congrats, your doing a fine job. We are all behind you with this project? ;) . I think this quote,

"I had 1,500 set aside to purchase and refurbish and I have only spent $900. Boy does that beat making payments".

? ?really said it all? :D . You dont have to spend a fortune or get deeeeeep into debt to have a whole lot of fun on two wheels as I'm sure most of us will agree? ;D.

? :) Enjoy? ;) :D ;D 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

You can get a preliminary idea of the charging systems' condition by doing the simple three white wire stator continuity test.  If it fails, just go ahead and change the stator, mount the Reg/Rec on the left passenger foot peg bolt, and do the starter clutch repair all at one time.  Cheers.

Lucky

and the balancer nuts & shift shaft seal.
(i just like saying "shift shaft seal" hehe)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

most people don't have a wrench big enough for the balancer drive nut...46mm. Plus putting a wedge between the gears to tighten it can damage the key. If you have the tools do, it properly and get a manual.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules