News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

About that Vision they carved up and put in bike shows

Started by vavision, February 07, 2006, 01:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

Do you guys recall what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure there was a post on here awhile ago about it. A guy had cut up the Vision a bit, made it look like a monster and it now goes around the country to various bike shows.

I was curious about the carbs on it. Would the way it was setup be an advantage over the Vision stock system? Get rid of the big airbox and have air filters clipped to each carb. More air, maybe rejetted for more power, but also maybe less finicky Vision carbs? More room for the air to circulate maybe helping cool the engine?

It's late but that's what's on my mind. What do you guys think about trying a setup like that?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

Coil Coyle

41/36=1.38888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888889

Va,
? ? ? ? ? ?I grew up reading Mechanics Illustrated, Reader's Digest, Hot Rod Magazine and the Anarchist's Cookbook.
           I think Yamaha, In order to make a high performance 250cc cylinder ridable, ordered the best carburetors that they could specify and installed them on the YZF R1.
           I doubt that we, as a group, have enough experience and knowledge to second guess them successfully on anything but the simplest of details. The centerline of the carbs is one I think we could handle.
           I'm working on a 44mm increase of the R1  centerline with the throttle/choke cable pair of the four. I can not fathom, if the bike is to be ridden, why they should not be swapped.
? ? ? ? ? ?The 41mm Constant Velocity carbs on the 1000cc R1, start easily, idle well, don't flat spot and are seldom mentioned as a problem on any R1 web site. They are 38.9% larger than the 36mm carbs that we were supplied back in 1982/3. Have you ever heard of Vision carb blues?
            The 36mm 83's will pay for the conversion in a few years, selling to restorers. Or you could make a lamp base from them.
            I just got a set of R1 carbs for $23.00 total, shipped to me by an agent of the Federal Government.
            Curious piece of reality, Eh?
;)
coil
? ? ? ? ? ?

Blake

With a single carb you have to contend with the reverb from each cylinder affecting the flow of the other.   With lots of math and planning it could theoretically be done, but its simple a lot easier/makes more sense/better  to go with individual carbs.  Becides...look at high performance applications.  even these ricer cars get individual carbs and throttle bodies for "performance upgrades"  (theres a place that sells conversion kits for cbr and r1 throttle bodys to mate up to honda engines.  haha

plus it allows exact tuning of each cylinder = more power.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Superfly

In the site crash last year, I noticed a post of mine is gone (about this), but for a really fun project, I got a pair of 36mm Mikuni flatslides off the net, laid them on their side, and hooked them up to the vision.? I added new jets (starting point was the stock jettings for the 82 carbs) and the bike started, and ran good.? But I have not had much time to fuss with them lately... but it was really fun, and sounded great.? Come to find out the carbs did not like the Mac pipes, and prefered my supertrapp (backpressure maybe... I don't know)?

I took some pic's of the first night's attempt, I know it is a bit crude, but I just wanted to see how the bike liked the carbs.

I ended up also getting some 90degree elbows off of a goldwing, that I want to experiment with also (so the carbs do not have to be on their sides) but that has not been attemped yet, trying to get the bike up for the CROV run.

Flatslides next to a set of 82 Vision carbs

Flatslides On the bike

The bike running with the Flatslides on.

Next I am going to grab some K&N filters to put on there,? But that will not be for a little bit.

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

QBS

From what I remember about your flat side project (I love the creativity and imagination), and your pictures confirm it,? the float bowls end up being mounted 90 degrees away from their design specification.? It seems that initially you didn't have any problems with that, but later on some did surface.? Care to give us an update about that?? Please.? Cheers.

Tdub

We use 41mm downdrafts, and even they must be run at no less than a 25 degree angle. There isn't anyway in the world the flatslides will work straight up! Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

Superfly

Tdub, I believe you know more about this bike than us, and I keep on getting told they wont work.... but I do have video of them working!? I ended up bending up the tab (on the floats) for the needle jet to close the valve.?

I did not get downdrafts for the initial experiment because of financial reasons (they are very friggin expensive!!) and I was just playing around.? I did get some 90 degree carb boots off of a goldwing that I want to experiment with, but I gotta get my butt to the CROV this year!? So that has been taking up all my garage time.

Tdub

Maybe I should have said, " work properly".  About how much I know about this bike, I am here to learn from you guys! ;D Tdub

Superfly

hahahaha...

"work properly".... You are probably right on there!!   ;D

Tdub

I showed Babe DeMay the pics. He said they did something similar years ago. The difference was they used an Amal remote float bowl to keep fuel from running thru the needle jet. Tdub

Lucky

Ok Superfly, you can't BUY that kind of experience...  how long till we thought of THAT idea?...never?  ;D

Ok, who's gonna carve the Welch/DeMay marble statue in the Vision hall of fame?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Blake

I've got a couple of cans of Play-doh laying around.... I'm sure i can "whip" something up as a prototype.   :D

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

VisionMeister

I've always thought the carbs off my Ducati 900ss would be a good match for the Vision.
They are 39mm with cv diaphragms which I think might smooth out the dreaded surge of the vision. Carbs will only open as far as the vacuum will pull them.
The Ducati jetting being low tech air cooled two valve may be pretty close for a higher revving four valve 550.
The Ducati carbs show up pretty regular on E-bay since lots of Ducati owners swap out for the FCR performance carbs.

Lucky

Surge? stumble? what are you guys talking about? mine don't do that... ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

IF YOU want CV carbs on a Vision. Get 1300 Venture or 1200 Vmax 35mm carbs. They will practically bolt in place. The R1 carbs are too big and they must be tilted as Tdub says to keep the float level correct. PLUS it seems you have forgotten the R1 has the EXUP to regulate back pressure. This effects intake also like our flapper to avoid flat spots. Bigger is not always better in the carb department.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules