Oil pressure locking up crank??

Started by Glyn, March 04, 2006, 08:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

Sounds like we are testing with then oil hose disconnected. Can you say " future spun bearing" ? When ever blockages are possible. ALWAYS temperarily substitute w/ Clear hose. Then viewing the oil flow is easy.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

Quote from: Lucky on March 05, 2006, 06:59:17 AM
you aren't running it with the oil lines disconnected are you???

not nesacarily, i started my bike up when i first had it a month or so with a crankcase full of fuel (didn't know any better & pluged a leaky overflow the night before) & ran it for about 20 seconds before i figured out what was wrong.  thankfully everything has been ok. (& my oil window is really clean)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

XZv2

Hi, Lucky,
Ironically, in the other thread started by Glyn, I advised to jump the solenoid (because Glyn mistrusted the solenoid) by directly connecting battery+ and starter motor.
That test also would have demonstrated that the oil pressure did not stop the engine, but that it is something electrical, and not the starter motor.
Coil, my respect for your cleverness and thinking in the right direction!
XZv2

Lucky

Wakie Wakie Glyn, it's 6:30 in the morning there, 18 C & slightly overcast.  dress warm, hook your cooler back up, top off the oil, switch those wires around and go to work!  ;D
--Lucky

Lucky

Quote from: Glyn on March 05, 2006, 02:41:19 AM
I did not shorten at all the brass fitting that scews into the tapped hole just next to the starter.

You mean ABOVE the starter right? if it was to the left of the starter, that's the wrong plug...

Glyn

Phew, you guys are legendary. You just never give up.

I'll do the wire check, as well as taking a peek into that b----dy little hole after the filter. No I ran it with a fresh filter
when it first started to do this. It is possible that something has detached from the filter and got sucked in. I think removing the right hand cover is probably needed. Please tell me I don'r have to drain all the coolant and oil again!!!

When I take it off (prob this weekend), what should I be looking for and checking? Is that  pressure relief valve accessable with the cover off, and can it be checked for operation before I bolt all back together again?

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how I go on the above after the w/e.

Have a good one.

Glyn

Glyn

GET THAT COIL MAN A BIG CIGARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
(not a Cuban, unless you're Arnie of course).

Too late to start the bike - kids in bed, BUT ignition on, bike into gear, red light goes out, green light stays on. DUH.....

Some one here is feeling pretty stupid! 

Will put filter back in re connect wires and keep you updated.

It's good for other people to discover these things...

Thanks a milion guys.

PHEW.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Coil Coyle

Glyn,
? ? ? ? ?My apologies for waiting so long to read your thread.

? ? ? ? ?Thanks for the offer of a cigar, but I only smoked tobacco once, a cigarette.

? ? ? ? ?My buddy had just got home from Viet Nam, he had been explaining that Cigarette smoke was like the air you breath on a clear day in the mountains compared to some herb we had been sharing. I smoked one of his Winstons in two Tokes, each held as long as I could, commenting between hits that he was right about the smoothness.
? ? ? ? ?I marveled at how smooth it was and enjoyed the laugh they were having on my performance right before the room began to slowly rotate...
? ? ? ? ?I remember trying to stop the room from spinning by holding onto my wife with both hands. That failed, I ran to the porcelin altar and hollered "RAAALLLPHHH" for hours.
? ? ? ? ?Everyone else had a great laugh the first hour or so, then they became bored and went home. I was told this by my wife when I regained conciousness hours later, head still in the commode and still hollering "EEHRGHRAALLLFFFFP"!
? ? ? ? ?Buy your wife a flower she likes and plant it in the yard, we'll be even...? ?
:-X :o ;) coil
? ? ? ? ?