News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

VIN problem

Started by 67GTO, March 01, 2006, 08:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

I am trying to get the title for my 82 Vision and the WI DMV says I need a 17 digit number. The number I have is JYA11H007 is this a correct sounding number.Is a 9 digit number correct? HELP!
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

nope, that's not the right number. the VIN number is on the steering down tube at the very front of the frame.  that looks like an engine serial number you listed...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

67GTO

How many digits do I need?

Mutt

Quote from: 67GTO on March 01, 2006, 08:50:26 AM
I am trying to get the title for my 82 Vision and the WI DMV says I need a 17 digit number. The number I have is JYA11H007 is this a correct sounding number.Is a 9 digit number correct? HELP!

Your half way there. That is the begining of your vin number. It should be followed with two letters, Mine is CA, then 6 more numbers. The vin is located on a sticker at the very front of your steering down tube (stem tube). If you have a fairing it may be a little more difficult to see the entire number due to the W bracket.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

silicon_toad2000

Quote from: 67GTO on March 01, 2006, 10:24:54 AM
How many digits do I need?

i can type with just one finger

sorry guys, that may have been too lame even for this board...
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

67GTO

Thanks, I will look tonight

squid

I just looked at my title, and it doesnt have 17 digits, it  only has 9, and i also looked at the tube on the front of the frame  (vin sticker) and it too only has 9 digits,,,I would take a pic of the front of the frame and take it to the dmv, and talk to someone older who knows what they are doing :P

visionless

I just registered my new one yesterday.  The title has two numbers on it. A 9-digit engine number (looks the one posted earlier) and a 17-digit VIN that starts with the same 9-digits.
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

MotorPlow

I seem to remember a very old post where these bike's VIN Numbers were very commonly mixed with the engine numbers by DMV. Something about the dealers screwing up when these bikes were new when the dealer would register the new bike through DMV for the new owner.  It seems it was quite a common mistake for the engine number to be used instead of the correct VIN Number.

Sable

As of 1980 (all 1981 and newer vehicles), ALL vehicles are required to have a 17 digit number VIN.

For everything that you've ever wanted to know about VINs, but were afraid to ask:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIN

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

kiawrench

67 GTO --- this isnt all that hard,, but to a new rider it can be a nightmare.

look on the tube between the triple tree plates, you will find a sticker that tells tire pressure, and a lot of other writing. on that sticker is the 17 digit vin.  and that is the only place you will find it
  other thn that . you will have to contact yamaha , have them provide a vin based on the 9 digit number you already have. these numbers do in fact merge between the 9 th  and 10th digit .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

veloce430

It's possible that it is a Canadian import.  I have an '83 that has a 9 digit VIN, 11J-xxxxxx.
I had to get a letter from Yamaha USA stating that was the correct number for a Non-USA version, and then had to have DMV do a traving of the number on the steering head.

Stu

67GTO

I found my mistake. I was using the frame number that was stamped into the front fork area, and not the sticker. The sticker had the 17 digit number that the DMV needs.

Thanks for the help

squid

the canadian import thing makes sence since I live in Canada and the bike was bought here, because when I first got my bike and was looking for the VIN, i got it from the sticker with all the tire pressure info and stuff,,,,I always thought it was weird that it was only 9 digits,,,,my 81 yamaha snowmobile was the same too,,,,

jasonm.

LOOK carefully all 17 digits are stamped in the frame. Difficult to see, but there.  The engines of all Yamahas using the same #'s as the frame. UNLESS engines were swapped.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules