'83 Starter woes....

Started by Emjayw, March 02, 2006, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emjayw

My starter went south the other day.  Yep, it was full of oil.  Lots of damage/wear to the brushes/commutator.  Cleaned everything up and installed a new double-lip seal from O'Reilly's and it seemed to be fine.  After a long  afternoon ride it quit again, with only a "click" upon pushing the button.  I drained the oil again, and found no oil in the starter, only blackened commutator and brushes.  Cleaned everything again and reinstalled to no avail. "click" only.  Do I need a new starter? There was a lot of wear on the commutator, more than I've ever seen on any of my Yamaha 650 starters.  I sure wish this bike came with a kickstsrter too!  A guy much wiser than I once said: " I'd rather try and re-light a candle than a burned-out light bulb".  I am not a fan of electric-only starting.  What's Yamaha going to gouge me for a new starter?  Any thoughts/solutions will be appreciated.  Mike in TX.   ???
AMA, Yamaha 650 Society, North Texas Norton Owners Assn.
'98 Concours

Lucky

measure the brush lengths, you may only need to replace them.  you can buy a new starter from Yamaha for about $400,   :o   last time i checked, or you could save a couple of dollars & buy just the brush plate for about $50
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I'm doing (another) one now (on my brother's bike).
I would start out cheape$t and work up...

1) bench test starter out of bike
2) check brushes for minimum length

3) new (oem) brush plate and get communicator turned
or source a used starter....

new oem starter? ... pricey!!!!

I was typing and Lucky was quicker!!! sorry for any duplicate advice
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

MotorPlow

Or bring it to a generator/alternator shop and let them rebuild it for about $30.00 with a warranty. We have a generator shop in Roanoke and I've had car alternators rebuilt along with tractor starters. Takes about 3 days from drop off to pick up.

In Roanoke, the shop is listed in the yellow pages under "Alternators, starters & Generators - Auto" just for your reference.

Emjayw

;D  Thanks everyone, for the timely and thoughtful input.  MotorPlow, I especially want to thank you for your suggestion because I called a local "Starter/Alternator" Guy here in Mansfield  and he had my starter rebuilt and back in my hands with a re-surfaced commutator and new hand-made brushes within 4 hours!  I can't say enough good things about this kind of service.  The Place I called was Paul's Starter and Alternator in Mansfield, TX  817-473-2688.  If you're in need of this type of fix, give Paul a call and tell him I sent you his way.  The damage? $42.00 out the door.  Thanks again, you guys are a busted Visionary's best friend.   Mike
AMA, Yamaha 650 Society, North Texas Norton Owners Assn.
'98 Concours

Phatjap

Hello Emjayw,

Did you have any more trouble with your starter motor since repair?> Today I had the same trouble, just a click. If I jolt the bike in gear it frees and starts, but I need to do it each time. I took the starter off and the one of the brushes was about 5mm and the other about 4mm. (estim) is this about as low as they go to create a problem??

Many thanks
Skype me. Phatjap