Vision Digest, March issue

Started by Lucky, March 02, 2006, 11:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Edit:
the March issue is now published:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzernw5a/thevisiondigest22/index.html

Thanks, --Lucky

This months Digest will be slightly late. Everytime i try to edit the site, my browser crashes.? i'm working on it & should have it up by this weekend..

Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dchakrab

Lucky, others:

I didn't realize there was a Vision digest(!). Just came across it the other day.

I noticed you're asking for funds to move it to its own domain name. Since this forum has helped me out tremendously in the past, I'm willing to pitch in.

I can't help with cash, but I can contribute something practical: Website development, programming, limited graphics work, and a place to host the site.

I'll talk about the last one, since that's the key ingredient: I have a hosting space that will let me stack additional domains. Since the site wouldn't need much space, I would host it for free. If at some point the traffic increases to the point where I can't afford to pay for an upgrade, we may have to take up an additional collection, but I think we'd be good for a couple of years (and I think I'll be in a better financial position soon).

So, our effective cost to move the magazine to a complete, search engine optimized website is ~$9 (domain name registration) + my time.

I can set this up with a minimalist theme, and a great content management system (open source = free + reliable + flexible) and create user accounts and passwords for anyone who needs to be able to create / develop content. Anyone else can register to leave feedback or comments on articles.

The CMS we've settled on using at the Community Technology Centers' Network in Chicago (CTCNet Chicago) is drupal...it actually goes way beyond managing an online magazine, and would be perfect for this kind of thing. I'm actually using it on my site now (http://www.digitalraindrop.com) and in the process of implementing it on several other sites I'm working on.

I got the idea for this from a mechanic I just talked to, who said he'd be more than happy to have me develop a Drupal site for him in exchange for on going maintenance, access to his tools, and teaching me how to work on my Vision, if there are things I get stuck on.

I have about six years of website development and search engine optimization experience now, so I'm always available for help if you need it as far as the site goes.

Since I can't contribute cash, I'm hoping this is meaningful...what do you think?

Dave.

Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

dchakrab

Just wanted to add a note, since I've been thinking about the idea more:

What do you guys think of allowing individual member blogs? Or a group blog? I already have several sites, and one site that's basically a blog, but if I had my own Vision-related blog here or on the magazine site, I'd find it a practical and useful place to keep track of my thoughts on the bike, work-in-progress, ideas for troubleshooting, etc...just a general documentation of my work on the bike, I suppose. This might be a basis for developing tutorials later on, too.

Thoughts?

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

Lucky

Thanks Dave, i'll take it under consideration & we'll talk more.

To all, the March issue is up, Enjoy!
--Lucky
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzernw5a/thevisiondigest22/index.html
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Lucky. To you and "Team Vision Digest" ..........OUTSTANDING ? 8)
I take my hat (helmet) off to people with such dedication, who work to make our site one of the best, if not THE best ,for its member's. keep up the exellent work.

:) Squid,
I'm very humbled. Thank-you for the kind words.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!