News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Going to repor the tank tomorrow- advice?

Started by vavision, March 20, 2006, 06:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

See, the POR job is not that bad, just gotta follow the directions to the letter, and not be in a hurry!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

I ordered my POR kit yesterday, but have to wait to do it because the tems are still dropping down below 50 at night & my wife won't let the tank in the house.  meanwhile, it's all emptied & taken apart waiting for me...  i hope it warms up soon!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Quote from: vavision on March 28, 2006, 02:01:21 PM
. . . a 75 kz 400 that I'm fixing and trading a guy for a target pistol for my girlfriend. . ..

You know, that statement could mean several different things & only one of them won't get YOU killed!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vavision

haha

Yeah, well this is for her to learn to shoot a gun. Hopefully I'll be fine. If I drop off the board send the cops looking for Monica E. Martinez of Charlottsville Virginia
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

ps2/bikevision

Quote from: vavision on March 28, 2006, 06:12:58 PM
haha

Yeah, well this is for her to learn to shoot a gun. Hopefully I'll be fine. If I drop off the board send the cops looking for Monica E. Martinez of Charlottsville Virginia

Motorplow that would be you. ;D ;D

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

I'm on it... Already started a file.  Do you think an attorney will be needed?

vavision

Ok-

Well the Por held up for almost 3 days. Now all my leaks are back. I don't understand, I followed teh directiosn to the letter. I let it dry a full 100 hours with a blower keeping constant airflow through the tank. Then it worked for 3 days of riding. Now I have the leaks again, sure they're slower but they're going to keep me grounded for awhile.

I emailed Por and I'll call them tomorrow but this is frustrating.

vavision

I need to ride the bike home tomorrow so I don't really have the time to do a permanent patch to my pin holes. Is there any kind of tape that will hold well for a day or two against the gas?

Lucky

How did you patch the leaks before PORing the tank?

i've used the por patch method: por & por soaked patch cloth. it looked ugly, but held up great..

i doubt any tape will work, the gas will eat the glue, but the 2 part epoxy putty Car Quest & others sell works great & dries in minuets.

--Lucky

Lucky

a couple of thoughts:
did you let the tank cool completely before PORing it? if it was still hot from the blowdrier, perhaps it could have contracted as the por was drying..?

you didn't shake the Por tyo mix it did you it must be stirred or you add bubbles which weakens it..

I pored my tank today, it's sitting in my tub now drying. (it's warmer than outside & is out of the way)

--Lucky

vavision

Tank was cool because I didn't have the time to roll it after I dried it out.

Definately stirred it- that got beaten into me way before I did it. I used jb weld and there were no leaks during my last rinse.

It held fine for three days, then cut out. I don't understand it. Hopefully the people at POR will set me straight.

Lucky

Keep in mind that POR is really intended to protect from rust. it may seal pinhole leaks to a certain degree, but the Metal Prep will show any others that were only held together with rust & paint.  it's a good coating, but like everything else has it's limits.

do a careful exam on the tank, locate any new leaks & use the epoxy putty to seal them, you still should be protected from further rust in the tank, you just missed some 'hidden' rust.  it's also possable that some previous holes were patched with bondo & painted over which may have not shown up before the metal prep...

ps2/bikevision

quick fix to get home.   bar of soap and duct tape. works for 4x4's should work for bikes.

vavision

ps2- thanks

I got in touch with the guys at POR, they didn't have any answers for me other than buy another kit and try again. They didn't see anything wrong with what I did though, so that's frustrating. I think I'm just going to flush the tank, fill it with an inert gas and close all the leaks with the welder. Then I'm going to take blurred vision's idea and use bondo around the edge to get rid of the stamped look. Then finally repaint.

Coil Coyle

VA,

Honest, a small patch of the Epoxy gas tank putty will fix it in minutes and last for years.
         Ride it this spring and repair/Bondo/paint it next winter.
;)
$0.02
coil

vavision

Coil-

This is why it's nice to have two Visions. I can lay this one up for a bit and ride the other, or swap tanks since I really like the bike naked and removing the fairing on the other seems like such a chore.

npinch

What size of POR did you guys order and more important what size do i need to order for my 2 Visions. Thanks
If you love something, let it go free, If it does not come back...HUNT IT DOWN AND KILL IT!

67GTO

I bought mine from the POR web site. It's the standard motorcycle kit. You will need one kit per tank. Follow directions to the letter!

And don't forget the GLOVES!!
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV