News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

83 Carb with capped mixture screws

Started by Superfly, March 29, 2006, 01:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey Guys,? I found a set of 83 carbs that had the mixture screws capped:

What a pain it is getting those caps off!

So Before surgery (they are really... really bad!) I counted the mixture screw turns:

Rear - 2
Front - 3.25

I ended up having 2 casualties, one was the main jet (on the bottom) and the really bad one was the one of the floats? >:(? It looked like the float was stuck to the inner wall, and when I popped the top off, half the float fell into the carb.... (massive amounts of swearing inserted here)? I am trying to JB the 2 pieces together (impervious to fuel... right?), and have them clamped together, we will see how that goes.

This set did not have a fuel pump, I looked at a 82 fuel pump, but the fuel output nozzle is really long on the 82's, and will not mount in the stock location, but it still might work, so I will give it a try.

I thought I heard mention that someone (Lucky?) is keeping track of any "factory settings"  So I thought I would post the results.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

Thanks Sf, that was me asking about factory settings. mine were about 1.8 front, 2 1/4 rear.

i've had a spare set of perfect 83 carbs for a few years except for one broken float (was m.i.a. when i got them).

So.. when your ready to sell the good float, let me know? ;D ;D

your going to have to do the fuel level test in the book, that uses the clear tubing for the float with the epoxy because it's going to be heavier.

you'll know if/when the epoxy fails, you'll have gas everywhere.? ? :(
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black